Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Drinking [alcohol and AHI]
Drinking [alcohol and AHI]
Wow, just checked last nights data and it was over 5. I had two martinis last night. After seeing the data, I will definitely stick with one and maybe just quit. Unsure This was an eye-opener. The good news is that my ultimate chinstrap stopped all my air leaks. My normal AHI is usually barely over one and many times it is less. I think the new chinstrap will drop it well below 1 as I was having large air leaks from mouth breathing.

[attachment=5031]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Drinking
Sedatives like alcohol cause further relaxation of the muscle in the airway.
Could you imagine how the numbers would look without CPAP? What about a hangover just on 2 Martinis?
Eye opening stuff :-)
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Drinking
Txrpls,
My experience has been as long as I keep it below 2 MEASURED drinks( 1 oz each) my AHI improves. any more than that and all bets are off, AHI is all over the place. I do enjoy a good scotch or bourbon an hour or so before bed. My doctor told me as long as I keep it below 2 i'm good. Smile
Best regards,

Analog
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Drinking [alcohol and AHI]
I agree. With a little bit of alcohol, my AHI is improved. With too much alcohol, my AHI is worsened. So apparently there's such a thing as "too relaxed"!

I also find it tough to keep my mouth closed throughout the night, if I've drank too much. So I've used a FFM on those nights. But I recently got a chin strap from my DME, so we'll see if I have the guts to pull that out and figure it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2018, 05:16 AM)txrpls Wrote: Wow, just checked last nights data and it was over 5. I had two martinis last night...

Bummer! I'm kicking myself for reading this thread! (I'm a heavy drinker.)

<sigh> Well, now I don't have drinking to look forward to after Lent. <sob>
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2018, 09:03 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 05:16 AM)txrpls Wrote: Wow, just checked last nights data and it was over 5. I had two martinis last night...

You can pick up one of the Bipap's. I think their pressure went up to 30cm. Just in case you need that extra drink. Too-funny
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2018, 09:07 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 09:03 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:

You can pick up one of the Bipap's. I think their pressure went up to 30cm. Just in case you need that extra drink. Too-funny

You stinker! Now I've got to clean my monitor. And I'm twice mad because before I could even think about your suggestion I was rejecting it -- I couldn't afford it. hmm... maybe a used one on CraigsList would be affordable...
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2018, 09:14 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 09:07 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 09:03 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote: Bummer! I'm kicking myself for reading this thread! (I'm a heavy drinker.)

You stinker! Now I've got to clean my monitor. And I'm twice mad because before I could even think about your suggestion I was rejecting it -- I couldn't afford it. hmm... maybe a used one on CraigsList would be affordable...

Just limit your heavy gurgling and use of BiPAP to 6 days a month though. Compliance cops will come and comfiscate your goods.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
There must be something wrong with me.  The more I drink, the lower my AHI is.  And I have had much more than two martinis.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm similar. A few drinks before bed in the weekend and sometimes my AHI improves - it certainly doesn't get worse.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CA increase after stopping with drinking Sprunk 12 1,407 05-30-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: restless51
Surprised [CPAP] Drinking & CPAP & Stopped breathing 120 Seconds? (Missing Data) SleepyRob 3 746 06-16-2022, 04:38 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  [Equipment] USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE CPAPSC 2 753 03-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
  Alcohol IMPROVES my sleep apnea? hagrock 10 2,514 10-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Alcohol and Sleep dolppl 10 1,683 05-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Alcohol and AHI ppca 3 1,245 05-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Last Post: ppca
  Alcohol and Lower AHI tiredPerson 12 3,672 08-18-2018, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Apnea Infant

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.