Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth
Sad 
Dry Mouth
Dry Mouth?

After years of using a Humidified Bi-pap I awake with a dry mouth! Suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry Mouth
Hello rtstuf and welcome

Dry mouth is sign of mouth breathing or/and mouth leaks
Try chinstrap at first, if doesn't helps, you may need full face mask
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

I'll 2nd zonks post. That's a good starting point and a cheap enough fix.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rtstuf,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try a chinstrap to see if that helps as others have suggested. Have you just started noticing this problem with dry mouth? When you check your water chamber in the morning, have you used most of the water in it?
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have this same problem whether I use the humidifier or not. It is mouth breathing and the only way to control it is with a chin strap. A full face mask may not work. I think mine is partially caused by a congested nose. I have had to use a chin strap for over 5 years. You get used to it but i cannot go without it now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2015, 08:44 PM)rossm Wrote: I think mine is partially caused by a congested nose. I have had to use a chin strap for over 5 years. You get used to it but i cannot go without it now.
Me too

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same issue, but it started only two weeks ago when I came home from the hospital after Gastric Bypass surgery. I have used a CPAP for over 10 years and never experienced a mouth leaking problem. Now, I can't get one night's sleep without waking up several times with a dry mouth. I have tried a Halo chinstrap, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem. Even with my jaw held tightly, there is still a leak. I'm thinking that, perhaps, since the surgery and losing over 30 lbs so far, the pressure may be too high? I'm using an S9 on 12 right now, nasal pillow headgear (I can't go for a mask because of facial hair). My wife confirms the "whooshing" sound of a mouth leak.

Suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have suggested, your mouth could be open, your humidifier not providing enough humidity. Also consider, once you have ruled those out, that you could have diabetes or other medical problem. Dry mouth is a common problem for higher blood sugar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do not rule out full face masks because of facial hair. I have facial hair and my Mirage Quattro works fine for me.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2015, 05:15 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Do not rule out full face masks because of facial hair. I have facial hair and my Mirage Quattro works fine for me.

Ditto here. I use a F&P Simplus FFM, have facial hair, and my leaks are usually very low. In Sleepyhead's daily stats, it gives Min, Median, 95% and Max. I usually have 0.0 for the first 2 numbers, and <10 for the upper 2 numbers. I occasionally have 0.0 for the 1st 3 numbers, and have scored 0.0 for all 4 numbers a few times.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,079 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.