Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth
RE: Dry Mouth
I'm with Mr. Time and Retired Guy. I thought / knew I was a mouth breather so I started with a FFM, it's a wonder I kept it up (as I hated it) but I did. Finally tried a nasal mask to realize I could breath through my nose with the extra pressure. I switched to nasal pillows and it was the best thing I've done. Somehow the pressure helps me keep my mouth closed and I don't have to strap up but I bet it would still be better than a FFM to me. Everyone is different but keep it in mind.
Good Luck,
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree too, NP mask will all but eliminate leaks. However, I'm not & never was a mouth breather. CPAP air exhausting through the mouth is a completely different issue. Some are afflicted with the phenomenon, other are not. Those of us who are will find the NP mask nothing if not an aural challenge. Taping is effective, if not the most enjoyable remedy.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I feel taping is dangerous and borderline suicidal. But that's my opinion.

With my 95% now sitting at 19something, I started whistling in my sleep or pretending I was a horse. A chin strap has stopped that. I think it is the pressure on my cheeks that keep the air from filling my mouth. With the heat of summer on me, I am not sure how long I can wear it, though. I may try the simple Ace bandage and see if that works.

Like others, I've never been a mouth breather at night and never snored with my mouth open. Could bring down the house, though!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: it appears I've started to mouth breath after switching to a pillow mask.

I think this quote is the key. Therapy air exhausting via mouth began for me too when I changed to a NP mask. My remedy was to tape over my mouth with surgical tape, which reduced the leak problem to that of a FF mask. After six years I switched back to a FF mask and no longer need to tape. My Sleepyhead numbers are good, so here are two possible solutions you might like try. Best wishes - Geoff
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Even when I snored like a freight train I still snored through my nose. When I opened my mouth to snore, My wife always said there was not enough air anyway. I always "Snorted" through my nose for the most part. When I went for my sleep study, I was asked what mask I wanted first. The nasal was never a doubt. During the study I exhausted through my mouth enough to cause dry mouth but it was not enough to sway the test so they did not awaken me to correct. I requested a chin strap ( because I don't like FFM, more in a minute) with my prescription because of my experience in the sleep lab. My only problem with the nasal wisp in the sleep lab was the small fit. I don't have THAT big of a snozz but the people that fitted me with the Mask said that is what they used in the lab so that is what I got. BUNK. They did not have the correct size in the lab and the supplier did not have the correct size. I went online and found the correct size and demanded they GIVE me the right size. I went through hell for a while and even bought my own FFM online to try to alleviate the dry mouth and ill fitting mask. I am not a mouth breather but the exhaust is enough to try the face mask if you are frustrated. I was treated like a child when I asked for help. Bottom line is this...Download your own software and evaluate your own therapy. Try ALL of the masks that you deem possible to help you. When you sleep well, you will know it when you awaken and when you read the results of your sleep. Bottom line is, chin straps are a savoir to me so I keep my full face mask in the box. I would not consider a FFM now. To each his own though. If you have dry mouth, air is coming or going. Regardless, STOP the airflow through the mouth.
Remember - "If It Ain't Broke, DON"T Fix It!
Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 804 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.