Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth
Dry Mouth
I have been on CPAP since last September and have just recently started having an extremely dry mouth when I get up in the morning. My humidifier reservoir still has water in it, but a little more than it used to, and I haven't changed the temperature on the humidifier. Any help?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry Mouth
I had that problem too. I found that using a lip balm like Chapstick helped. I use a pretty heavy coat of it on my lips just before I put on my mask. It really helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your leaks are OK (below 24 lpm) I would raise the humidification. I have a very unsophisticated humidification system, so I am not sure how to do it on your system.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Really bad dry mouth is usually caused by mouth breathing. Even ffm users can have problems with dry mouth if they tend to breath through their mouth under the mask. You could use a chinstrap to assist the jaw in deciding to stay closed. Some say over, some say under the mask. You would just have to experiment. Or you could try a pillows mask with chinstrap and ditch the full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I will try the lip balm and humidity increase but I don't think I will try the chin strap. I am a mouth breather and for 7 months I did not have a dry mouth so something else is going on. I can barely stand the FFM and if you throw on a chin strap on top of that, then you might as well just shoot me and put me out of my misery.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2014, 12:32 PM)rhoodphoto Wrote: Thanks, I will try the lip balm and humidity increase but I don't think I will try the chin strap. I am a mouth breather and for 7 months I did not have a dry mouth so something else is going on. I can barely stand the FFM and if you throw on a chin strap on top of that, then you might as well just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

Ok.... So, once again, why exactly are you using a full face mask? If you can barely stand it, I would think you need to seek an alternative that you will be more comfortable with. Oh, is it because you are a "mouth breather?" Yeah, me too. But I use a pillows mask and a chinstrap. and I'm not in misery so please don't shoot me!
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you replaced the cushion on the mask since you've had it?

Have you lost weight since starting CPAP?

My guess would be some type of leak that wasn't there befor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2014, 10:05 AM)rhoodphoto Wrote: I have been on CPAP since last September and have just recently started having an extremely dry mouth when I get up in the morning. My humidifier reservoir still has water in it, but a little more than it used to, and I haven't changed the temperature on the humidifier. Any help?

Same situation here. Looking at my leak graph it appears I've started to mouth breath after switching to a pillow mask. While I figure out the best way to control the leaks I've bought biotene moisturizing mouth wash and biotene pH balanced tooth paste for people with dry mouth. I just want to ensure my teeth don't decay because of the lack of saliva.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2014, 10:05 AM)rhoodphoto Wrote: I have been on CPAP since last September and have just recently started having an extremely dry mouth when I get up in the morning.
Whats AHI and leak rate reported on the S9 sleep report and SleepyHead
Replacing mask cushion and the headgear (headgear do stretch after a while) regularly and washing the cushion daily would helps
Beside of dry mouth, any symptoms of nasal congestion

Post Reply Post Reply
There are Biotene tabs and mouthwash. They apparently do a great job of helping to keep the mouth moist during the night. I've not tried them but I know several other folks here do.

Since you have a full face mask, mouth breathing is not an issue in terms of OMG something new.

Other things to look at would be either a new medication or a change in one. Ask your pharmacist if any of them cause dry mouth as a symptom.

Then there's just simple crazy weather. It's that in between seasons time of year. Weird humidity levels, allergens, ambient temperatures. Try turning up the humidity level to see if that helps. Or, perhaps, turning it off.

And finally, do a full machine and mask check. Change filter, check mask seals, all that. Never hurts to do it!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 95 10 hours ago
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 107 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 808 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 632 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 354 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,232 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.