Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth
RE: Dry Mouth
Did u try the lip balm? It worked for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2014, 12:32 PM)rhoodphoto Wrote: Thanks, I will try the lip balm and humidity increase but I don't think I will try the chin strap. I am a mouth breather and for 7 months I did not have a dry mouth so something else is going on. I can barely stand the FFM and if you throw on a chin strap on top of that, then you might as well just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

I wrote a post earlier today about my experience with a FF which had me berating through my mouth and it felt as if i had a mouth full of cotton.
The idea of a chin strap did not appeal to me and I do think had I not solved the problem I would have been one of the ones giving up on CPAP but fortunately by sheer luck I tried a nasal mask of my husbands and its been perfection ever s once.
I will say that the first night was a bit scary as I did suffer from claustrophobia at first only because when the air is being pushed to your nose and you open your mouth to berate, its a completely different feeling than if you do it with a FF mask on.

Anyhow, I now would never wear my FF again even though there were no leaks and it fit perfectly and I loved it........except for this mouth issue which was too big a problem to deal with.

If you wish to read more, here is the earlier post
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...1#pid70191

Other wise, good luck at sorting out whatever it is you are having problems with in the meantime.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use one of the mouth pieces that can be formed to your mouth. I don't form it with my chin forward - I just close my mouth normally. This keeps my mouth closed and comes out easily if I need water during the night. I seldom get dry mouth anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2014, 11:25 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Or you could try a pillows mask with chinstrap and ditch the full face mask.
I just did that and it really helps. Mouth breather = FFM? I've found that mouth breathing in a FFM is NOT the answer due to dry mouth issues. A chinstrap seems to fix this CPAP design flaw for mouth breathers instantly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2014, 10:49 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: I've found that mouth breathing in a FFM is NOT the answer due to dry mouth issues. A chinstrap seems to fix this CPAP design flaw for mouth breathers instantly.

For many of us "mouth breathers" I agree with you Mr. Time.

If someone has something actually wrong with their nosie that they cannot or do not want to get fixed, then to me a chinstrap and pillows mask is a good way to go.

All too often a ffm is prescribed simply because the patient "feels" they are an incorrigible mouth breather. I know I thought I was, until I found out I wasn't.

So with a ffm, we continue to breath through our mouth which isn't really all that great of a thing to do.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2014, 10:05 AM)rhoodphoto Wrote: I have been on CPAP since last September and have just recently started having an extremely dry mouth when I get up in the morning. My humidifier reservoir still has water in it, but a little more than it used to, and I haven't changed the temperature on the humidifier. Any help?

(05-20-2014, 12:32 PM)rhoodphoto Wrote: I am a mouth breather and for 7 months I did not have a dry mouth so something else is going on. I can barely stand the FFM and if you throw on a chin strap on top of that, then you might as well just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

Hi rhoodphoto,

If the amount of water used was MORE than normal then leaking might have been the problem.

But since the amount of water used is LESS than usual, and if you are sure you didn't lower the humidity setting, then perhaps you need a new water tub.

It is easy to dent the water tub bottom ever so slightly, so the tub bottom no longer contacts the heat plate evenly.

Or perhaps you just need to gently clean the humidifier heat plate and tub bottom, in case something got on it which is stopping the tub bottom from laying completely flat on the heat plate.

Both the water tub and the humidifier lid gasket should be replaced every 6-12 months. Hose, too. Filters replaced monthly. Mask cushions about every 2-3 months. Headgear about every 6 months.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2014, 10:05 AM)rhoodphoto Wrote: I have been on CPAP since last September and have just recently started having an extremely dry mouth when I get up in the morning. My humidifier reservoir still has water in it, but a little more than it used to, and I haven't changed the temperature on the humidifier. Any help?

I have the same issue. I know what's causing my problem but it's not mentioned in any reply so far. In my case at least, & that of my brother plus a couple of mates, dry mouth is the result of the CPAP air exhausting out through the mouth. Some years back it blew out the seal of a Quatro FFM, so I changed to nasal pillows. F&P Opus 360, which has been moderately successful but the issue remained. My remedy was to tape my mouth with 50mm wide Micropore tape. I have done this every night for the past six years. However the air will still will blow the tape out of place.
Now, tired of the taping and the hilarious misunderstanding of the charades of someone who can't speak. I have gone back to a FFM. I am not suggesting anyone try taping however. I offer my experience here as a possible cause of your problem. You have a reasonably high Rx pressure.

What happens is, when an apnea event occurs and the airway becomes restricted, pressure builds above the restriction which has to go somewhere. It can't get out the relief port fast enough so it exhausts out through the mouth drying out the throat and tongue etc. Bad news.Sad
I don't have a remedy for this problem and as I'm just back to a FFM I will have to find a new solution too.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2014, 02:59 AM)woozie38 Wrote: My remedy was to tape my mouth with 50mm wide Micropore tape. I have done this every night for the past six years. However the air will still will blow the tape out of place. Now, tired of the taping and the hilarious misunderstanding of the charades of someone who can't speak. I have gone back to a FFM.

You used tape for 6 years? That speaks well to the effectiveness of tape. Instead of jumping back to a FFM from pillows, did you try a chin strap? Finding the most effective chinstrap seems similar to finding the perfect mask (and ending up with a drawer full of other options).

Are you still sticking to a FFM? I accidentally found a site for the product "chin up strip" that seems to be a fancier version of tape or a bandage. Searching the board, no one seems to be using it. Tape does seem to be an effective solution -- the ultimate chinstrap -- as long as no one else ever sees it on :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
You used tape for 6 years? That speaks well to the effectiveness of tape. Instead of jumping back to a FFM from pillows, did you try a chin strap? Finding the most effective chinstrap seems similar to finding the perfect mask (and ending up with a drawer full of other options).

Are you still sticking to a FFM? I accidentally found a site for the product "chin up strip" that seems to be a fancier version of tape or a bandage. Searching the board, no one seems to be using it. Tape does seem to be an effective solution -- the ultimate chinstrap -- as long as no one else ever sees it on :-)
[/quote]
Yes, I use a chin strap and have since I began therapy. My c/strap is "Sleeptight" by SEATEC. It's the second type I've tried and seems to work ok. The reason I went back to FFM is because of the science of balanced pressures. i.e. The inward pressure = the pressure exhausting from the mouth. Thus mask leak is the only way therapy air can escape. That said, mask leaks are then more difficult to control. The taping is very effective and in some instances very necessary when using pillows masks. I'll give the FFM a fair trial, I wouldn't rule out returning to NPM. There is a technique for mouth taping too which I'll describe here if asked. Will have a look at "Chin Up".

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2014, 06:10 PM)woozie38 Wrote: You used tape for 6 years? That speaks well to the effectiveness of tape. Instead of jumping back to a FFM from pillows, did you try a chin strap? Finding the most effective chinstrap seems similar to finding the perfect mask (and ending up with a drawer full of other options).

Using a NP mask invites the therapy air to exhaust from the mouth & although taping is the best solution I've found so far, the routine of applying & removing gets rather tiresome I currently use an F&P Simplus FF mask with a dry mouth result similar to NPM with tape, but at least I can speak now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 30 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 367 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.