Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth: FFM vs Nasal Pillows
Dry Mouth: FFM vs Nasal Pillows
I find that I am able to control dry mouth on my F20 Airtouch with Biotene and Xylimelts. Once I switch to nasal pillows it comes back big time even with Biotene and Xylimelts. Is it just me? 

I use cervical collar all the time. I hope to be able to control dry mouth on nasal pillow one day with the tongue in roof method but it's not working at the moment. Not even with different type of chin straps which I hate.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry Mouth: FFM vs Nasal Pillows
What does your leak rate and AHI look like? If your letting a lot air out through your mouth you may not be getting effective therapy.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Melman, here's my sleepyhead screenshot on F20 FFM:

[Image: 7HCtlfZl.png]

This is on Dreamwear Nasal Pillow:

[Image: blzQl56l.png]

Think therapy is effective. Only issue is mouth breathing. Somehow it's just easier to manage on a FFM for me. Hoping to change that because I much prefer nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
The leak rate line says it all. I'd stick with the f20, you will get use to in in a month.
also if you right click on the name of each chart, you can adjust the y-axis for easy viewing for yourself.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
ajack do you mean like this?

Another comparison with closer leak rates:

F20 FFM 
[Image: EL48kkGl.png]

Dreamwear Nasal Pillow
[Image: KPUuSZzl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
an example that would be dramatic, would be to right click the respiration chart name, which is now 45-10 ..pointer on the y-axis and then on the scaling mode drop down box, select override. then have max 20.00 min 10.00

the flow rate could be -60 +60 and I would leave it at this.
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok got it.... I indicated 10-30 instead for respiration charge because I see a lot of overshooting 20...

F20 FFM
[Image: lOGAZUJl.png]

Dreamwear Nasal Pillow
[Image: TFwkgcpl.png]

Edit: Can see leak rate is still much lower with FFM. I already using the F20 FFM more now, just hoping I can go back to using nasal pillow one day.

Is the AHI at 0.95 accurate for Dreamwear with all the leaks going on?
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, you have the reins now, adjust them as you like now. yes the 10-20 would have been dramatic and why i suggested it.
I find it frustrating in my charts when there was just a skinny line, to work out what is happening. I read here about the y-axis, I don't think anyone reads the full instructions on using sleepyhead, I still havent

getting back to your chart, I'd also try a bit more pressure to see of the min tidal volume does not fall so low. the dreamstation calls flow limit something else.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, ajack, just to confuse things, Respironics does use the term 'flow limitation', but flags it as an event, so there is no graph for it, only a row in the Events chart. I have no idea what criteria the machine uses to declare a 'flow limitation'.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's with increased pressure to min 12.5. Back to my original question... with nasal masks I have low AHI but high leaks. Does it mean the AHI reading is inaccurate or it is accurate and I can use nasal mask despite the high leaks (which should be from my mouth breathing).

[Image: DjrkvD7l.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,764 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 321 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.