Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth Problems - How to Fix?
Dry Mouth Problems - How to Fix?
I have a Resmed S9 with a Resmed full face mask.

I have this tendency to sleep with my mouth open, particularly if I roll onto my back. The result is that I wake up with a horribly dry mouth.

I rinse with a dry mouth solution call Biotene Mouthwash. Then back to bed and to try and get some more sleep.

I have the humidity of the humidifier set to maximum (at least, insofar as I can see).

The airtube is heated as well, so there's no "rain" fallout in the pipe. But none of this seems to help.

Short of taping my mouth shut I'm not sure what to do here.

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry Mouth Problems - How to Fix?
It happens to me occasionally, being a mouth breather when I sleep. I have not found a solution yet, but many here find chin strips help.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
To clarify - you wear a full-face mask and still get a dry mouth from mouth breathing? I recently started using a FFM all the time as my brain decided that sleeping with my mouth open would be amusing. It has cured my bone dry mouth. Now I am wondering if that mask is making me keep my mouth closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2016, 10:31 PM)chill Wrote: To clarify - you wear a full-face mask and still get a dry mouth from mouth breathing? I recently started using a FFM all the time as my brain decided that sleeping with my mouth open would be amusing. It has cured my bone dry mouth. Now I am wondering if that mask is making me keep my mouth closed.

Yes, I do and I expect the OP does.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, that sucks. I hope my brain does not learn to do that. I will be most annoyed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had extreme dry mouth with a FFM, also. Biotene helped a good deal but wasn't a cure. A chin strap has worked very well for me. I was not only able to quit using the Biotene, it has also enabled me to use a nasal pillow mask.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin strap solved the same problem for me. Worked so well that I kept the chin strap and jettisoned the FFM in favor of nasal pillows.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2016, 10:31 PM)chill Wrote: To clarify - you wear a full-face mask and still get a dry mouth from mouth breathing?
Yes, that's correct.

I had a chin strap years ago when I have a nasal mask. It pretty much did nothing except to leave strap marks on the side of my face.

I tried some sort of "baby tape" I think it was called. Taping my mouth shut helped but I don't know if that's a good idea.

I might see what chin straps are available. Maybe they're better these days.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2016, 06:17 AM)mjt57 Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 10:31 PM)chill Wrote: To clarify - you wear a full-face mask and still get a dry mouth from mouth breathing?
Yes, that's correct.

I had a chin strap years ago when I have a nasal mask. It pretty much did nothing except to leave strap marks on the side of my face.

I tried some sort of "baby tape" I think it was called. Taping my mouth shut helped but I don't know if that's a good idea.

I might see what chin straps are available. Maybe they're better these days.

I had the same problem with a Simplus FFM. No matter how high I set the humidity I would wake up with dry mouth. A chin strap fixed that, so I'd agree with giving that a try.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have had dry mouth for years, not related to sleep apnea. My dentist gave me a sample of a product that sticks to the inside of my mouth and stimulates saliva production called Oramoist. You can get an equivalent called xylimelts which is less expensive. I use them only at night and have found them helpful. It is a small disk with two sides, one side sticks to my cheek and the other slowly dissolves overnight. I wipe the base off my cheek in the morning. Oramoist can be found at local drugstores for $$. Xylimelts I have only found online. No prescription is needed.

If the OP is using a full face mask and still having dry mouth, these may help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.