Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth and Throat - Wakes me up
Dry Mouth and Throat - Wakes me up
Hi everyone:
I keep waking up in the middle of the night unable to swallow with a dry nose and throat. My doctor recently made a setting adjustment. Is it possible that the air is blowing too hard and drying me out? My previous main concern was the mask leaking air which squeaked and awakened me. Now I'm so dry...ugh!
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry Mouth and Throat - Wakes me up
make sure humidifier is set high enough. try a chin strap to keep mouth shut (even with FFM), or treat with biotene.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin strap and adjust humidity. I found it will get worse for a few days but now after a week dry mouth isn't as much if a problem for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
The higher the leak rate, the more drying takes place.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2015, 02:47 PM)DariaVader Wrote: make sure humidifier is set high enough. try a chin strap to keep mouth shut (even with FFM), or treat with biotene.

Hi DV, what humidity setting do you run at? I find anything above 5% gives me problems with moisture in the pipe and mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Phill,

If you are getting the 5 that you are referring to as 5% from your machine, it is just an index not a percentage of anything. If your relative humidity was 5% you would find it extremely dry.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hollyboop,

I use a full face mask and I use all of the things that have been mentioned. I do not use a chin strap all of the time but use it any time my "tongue training" begins to wear off. I use Biotene mouth wash for dry mouth every night just prior to going to bed. The humidity on my machine is set up quite high. It is not maxed out but it is up there.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2015, 09:59 AM)Phill Wrote:
(11-27-2015, 02:47 PM)DariaVader Wrote: make sure humidifier is set high enough. try a chin strap to keep mouth shut (even with FFM), or treat with biotene.

Hi DV, what humidity setting do you run at? I find anything above 5% gives me problems with moisture in the pipe and mask.

I max mine, or one notch below max. I also have the heated tube maxed. I live in Oregon which is not dry, and these settings sometimes use a lot of water and sometimes don't.... last night I slept for an incredible 10 hours and ran out of water Shock and have a rotten case of puffed eyelids this morning Big Grin
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2015, 02:07 PM)Hollyboop Wrote: Hi everyone:
I keep waking up in the middle of the night unable to swallow with a dry nose and throat. My doctor recently made a setting adjustment. Is it possible that the air is blowing too hard and drying me out? My previous main concern was the mask leaking air which squeaked and awakened me. Now I'm so dry...ugh!
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks so much!
hello, hollyboop! may i suggest a product called XyliMelts? this is a lozenge that fits between your gum and cheek. it stimulates saliva production while you sleep. my dental hygienist recommended to me when i mentioned i was going on cpap. it should be available at your nearby drugstore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2015, 11:56 AM)PaytonA Wrote: Phill,

If you are getting the 5 that you are referring to as 5% from your machine, it is just an index not a percentage of anything. If your relative humidity was 5% you would find it extremely dry.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Thanks for the information, I wrongly assumed it was a figure in engineering units, so we could call it 5% apples or oranges.Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 20 2 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 361 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.