Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

More EPAP, IPAP or Pressure Support?
RE: More EPAP, IPAP or Pressure Support?
(11-28-2015, 07:36 PM)Cookie Wrote: I made a second change to EPAP 10 IPAP 18 and pressure support to 4-8.

Do you mean a min EPAP of 10 and a Max IPAP of 18?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. Sorry that wasn't very clear.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I increased my min EPAP to 10.5 and my max IPAP to 19, my pressure support remained at 4-8.

I do not feel that I slept sound last night. Looking at sleepyhead I had a significant number of RERA's but some of that I can attribute to an unrelated pain issue.

Even though I raised my max IPAP to 19 I still reached that max.

I did see a significant increase in CA's. Does that mean that I raised my pressures too much?

Should I have narrowed my pressure support to 6-8 from 4-8 and left my pressures lower? I have seen a trend since my last 2 changes that my AHI is high almost every night for the first 2-3 hours and then tapers down. Is this because my pressure support has not risen enough to take care of the obstructive events?

Not sure I made the right change, any advice is appreciated.

As I have said in the past I am not always quick to adjust to changes even though they may be small. So understanding that one night doesn't provide a trend or all of the answers here is a look at last night's chart. [attachment=1915]

I am willing to leave these changes in place for the week to see how the week goes unless it seems that I am moving in the wrong direction.

Thanks to all who take the time to read and offer advice
Post Reply Post Reply
Your latest results indicate that you have reduced OA events, but may have replaced them with CA. I use the same machine, and find it takes some time to let new settings settle in, so it may be best to stand pat, however I have a recommendation.

Return your EPAP min to the previous setting of 10.0, leave IPAP max at 19, reduce PS MAX by 1.0 to not exceed 7.0. You are experiencing CA when the PS increases to the maximum allowed, while still allowing some H and OA to get through. I'd rather see the EPAP increase automatically, but for some reason it is flat-lining at your minimum setting of 10.5.

CA in your case seems driven by excess pressure support. Limiting PS should avoid over-ventilation and cause the machine to increase both EPAP and IPAP as necessary to deal with flow limitations. It's too early to pass judgement on RERA, but I think reducing the range of PS may be the ultimate solution. If RERA seems to continue when PS is near the bottom of its span (4.0), then narrowing the span to 4.5 or 5.0 to 7.0 might be the answer. Take it slow.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cookie, I cannot raise my PS much above 4.4 as it elevates my CA index. Although this is not a common condition, I have seen documentation of it. It happens to some people.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,343 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 530 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,108 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 248 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 413 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Lowenstein prima 25s support ? cbow48 6 684 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Macka
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.