Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth, running out of humidifier water
Dry Mouth, running out of humidifier water
I'm 3 days into the CPAP adventure. I have a ResMed AirSense 11 and Amara View mask. My pressure is set at 15. I seem to be getting a good mask seam most of the time.

The machine was set at AUTO humidity by the technician. I had extreme dry mouth halfway through the first night and turned it to manual humidity setting 7 (8 is max). In the morning still dry mouth, tank empty. I hadn't read the manual yet and filled the water tray a bit below "Max".

2nd night I filled tank full, had extreme dry mouth, and had a bit of water left in tank in the morning... but only used the cpap from 10:30pm to 3:30am when I woke to go to bathroom.

3rd night I filled tank full, had extreme dry mouth about 3:30am, stayed with it and had extreme dry mouth at 6:30am. Tank was bone dry.

I've set the machine back to Auto humidity for tonight to see if that at least means it won't run out of water.

I'm an open mouth breather. have been forever... but mouth is much more uncomfortable with cpap when I thought the humidification would make it better.

Maybe I need to get ResMed to provide a larger water tank?... Refill the tank in the middle of the night?

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry Mouth, running out of humidifier water
2 possible things, your house is very dry or you're mouth leaking.

Try this, download the free and safe OSCAR report tool. Pair this with an SD card in your PAP to capture the data. After you wake, load the SD data into your PC and view the OSCAR charts. Take an F12 shot and attach it to a post here. We can see what's going on and advise.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are no larger tanks I know about. Dry mouth is something I have also. I keep water in a sealed container with a straw. I make a quick sip of water 3 or 4 times a night. That is the only way I have been able to get through the night. 

I hope you can find a workaround.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I also had a problem with dry mouth at first.  In my case it was caused by mouth breathing.  I finally solved that  by wearing a cervical collar to keep my mouth shut.  In my case that turned out to be a simple but effective solution to dry mouth.  I was able to get use to the collar in a day or two.  Others have used chin straps or mouth tapeing but I did not find those helpful.  Just my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a real problem with a dry mouth. The nurse at the clinic told me not to set the humidity level too high (she recommended no higher than 5).
She also recommended XyliMelt tablets and they really help, you just put one on your gum to melt right before you put your mask on.  I got mine from the hopetosleep website (sorry can't post link)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all. I pulled the OSCAR info and also talked to the technician who supplied the equipment. Looks like I probably have significant mask leaking. Going to try other mask options with them tomorrow and work on fitting (which I've tried a lot of options already with little improvement). I'm using the Respironics Amara View Full Face mask and may try the similar ResMed mask tomorrow. I have a ResMed mask that fully covers nose and mouth, but it really gave me a pressure bruise on my nose... so am hoping I can get one of the under nose and  over mouth masks to work successfully.

Thanks for your help. Will report anything helpful that I learn.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes using chin straps to keep mouth works but what really worked for me was mouth tape. There is a little hole you breathe thru but it keeps you from having an open mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem. Forcing my mouth shut isn't an option. I think I've come up with a way to expand the tank. I'll report back if it works.
Brian

"I drank WHAT?" - Socrates
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried using a hose sock/sweater/cover (there are many names for it) to help reduce the water evaporation from your tank? 

It may help your water tank not dry up so much. It did help me with that a bit. However, I noticed that if I sleep longer than four hours, it still become bone dry despite the hose cover. 

Another option is a heated hose (a more expensive option than a hose cover).

As for dry mouth, I still struggle with this. Even in daytime, my mouth becomes very dry. Though, in my case it is due to the side-effects of one of my medication (Spiriva Respimat). I don't have coverage for dry mouth medications or Biotene. Therefore I'm unable to use those.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Jarhead 1964!
That's really helpful.

I had problems on my S9 with water capacity. Solved it by adding a humidifier on my furnace after my ukulele cracked because the house was so dry.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan is running but no pressure from Dreamstaion Fireboss 0 9 21 minutes ago
Last Post: Fireboss
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.