Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth with F&P Simplus FFM
Question 
Dry Mouth with F&P Simplus FFM
I have been having a lot of success over the last 1 - 2 months with my Simplus, but am vexed by the occurrence of dry mouth. I used to use a P10 nasal pillow mask and would get this problem, but that seemed likely due to mouth leakage; in fact I could never conquer mouth leakage and had to give up the pillows even though they are more comfortable.
I am at a loss to figure out what causes dry mouth in a FFM, since presumably both oral and nasal areas are receiving the same air flow, and my nose does not dry out. I have the Humidifier set at 5 (out of 1-8) and this has worked fine in the past.

Any ideas for cause or cure?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry Mouth with F&P Simplus FFM
Hi,

Various remedies to google that might help:

1. XyliMelts
2. Orajel Dry Mouth Relief Gel
3. Biotène® Oralbalance Moisturizing Gel

Have no idea about the cause but hopefully, these suggestions will get you started.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
What are your leak rates like with the Simplus? If you have a large leak and are mouth breathing, that could explain the dry mouth.

The nose is designed for long term breathing - it stays sufficiently hydrated by design. The mouth is more designed to be opened and closed and the tongue moved around it to distribute moisture. It makes sense that it would get dry when open and motionless at night. I've had this happen before CPAP when I had nasal congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2016, 08:00 AM)Snowbird47 Wrote: I have been having a lot of success over the last 1 - 2 months with my Simplus, but am vexed by the occurrence of dry mouth. I used to use a P10 nasal pillow mask and would get this problem, but that seemed likely due to mouth leakage; in fact I could never conquer mouth leakage and had to give up the pillows even though they are more comfortable.
I am at a loss to figure out what causes dry mouth in a FFM, since presumably both oral and nasal areas are receiving the same air flow, and my nose does not dry out. I have the Humidifier set at 5 (out of 1-8) and this has worked fine in the past.

Any ideas for cause or cure?

I had the same exact problem with the same mask. Sleeping with my mouth open lead to dry mouth no matter how high I set the humidity. A smaller mask could help if it sits just below your bottom lip and pushes it up a bit. That works more or less for me. A chin strap should fix the problem, at least it did for me. Since it's a cheap solution it's worth a try.

These days I sleep with the chin strap and the humidifier turned right off and I don't get dry mouth anymore. Can't guarantee that it will work for you of course.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
You could try the simplest thing first and up your humidity setting.
Just because something worked in the past doesnt mean it will work now,
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same mask. I have a constant struggle cranking the humidity while not waking up with a ton of water in the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2016, 10:46 PM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: I have the same mask. I have a constant struggle cranking the humidity while not waking up with a ton of water in the mask.

My wife had that jappen with a simplus, plain hose, cold bedroom with her 550 auto aflex.
On looking her hose was bone dty. The watet was her breathe condensing in the mask.

Cure? She simply pulled the covers up emough to cover the mask on cold nights.

Running a heated hose on a 560 auto aflex , same mask same bed , same night, I never had the issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2016, 08:21 AM)49er Wrote: 1. XyliMelts
2. Orajel Dry Mouth Relief Gel
3. Biotène® Oralbalance Moisturizing Gel

Thanks 49er, I tried a couple of Xylimelts last night and it did seem to lessen the dryness.

(09-07-2016, 10:46 PM)Weird Tolkienish Figure Wrote: I have the same mask. I have a constant struggle cranking the humidity while not waking up with a ton of water in the mask.

I have had problems with rainout when I took the Humidity above 6, but I may increase it some.

(09-07-2016, 10:56 PM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Running a heated hose on a 560 auto aflex , same mask same bed , same night, I never had the issue.

Ghost, I have a heated hose on order as we speak (or write lol). I have high hopes for it.

To all of you - thanks for the good suggestions.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 3 104 1 hour ago
Last Post: stevew168
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 190 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 982 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 729 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,098 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 457 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.