Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry cough - caused by CPAP?
Hi - I've been using my Philips Dreamstation APAP for almost 11 months now and am very happy with the results (much less daytime sleepiness).  But - the last couple months I can't seem to shake a middle of the night dry cough.  I live in Utah  (pretty dry) but use the humidifier on the machine all the time.   I don't have any cough during the day.    Any suggestions on what to do?    Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
May not be from CPAP. It is spring; so, it's allergy season.
Since you are in Utah, maybe the humidifier just isn't enough for low humidity room air.
You might give some though to a room humidifier.

Plus, do you by chance take a med known as an ACE inhibitor. Some people develop a dry cough when taking ACE inhibitors.
ACE inhibitors are primarily for high blood pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2017, 10:54 AM)justMongo Wrote: "Plus, do you by chance take a med known as an ACE inhibitor.  Some people develop a dry cough when taking ACE inhibitors.
ACE inhibitors are primarily for high blood pressure."

Thanks for your response.  I don't take an ACE inhibitor, but trying to turn up the humidity setting on my machine sounds like a good idea.   I'll look into that.
Post Reply Post Reply

I've found that I will start coughing while using my CPAP when the humidity drops to 45% or below. I have to use the humidifier and a heated hose to avoid this.  As the humidity drops my coughing increases.  Anything above 45% and I can use the CPAP without any problems.  I've seen posts in the past where people that were raised or a long time resident from a more arid location will have the opposite effect.  It seems to be one of those "Go figure" things.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to keep the humidity up to combat dryness, but if it gets too high, I start coughing.

I also run a separate humidifier in my room, and use a hygrometer to measure the humidity.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Play with your humidity settings. If you still have that cough in a couple of weeks, make an appointment with your doctor OR if you have one of those Patient Portal things, send a note to your doc to find out if this is something that should be checked now or later. I usually see doc twice a year due to diabetes, so most things can wait until that appointment, but not everybody has a chronic condition.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hearing loss caused by my C-pap ? Hogman44 14 5,502 05-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Last Post: xnlife
  Cough and cpap Judy1843 5 788 11-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Has anyone developed a cough from humidity being set too low? NickNick 7 1,023 09-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  Could cough be seen as centrals roudabushmc 6 705 08-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  COPD complication and cough? okieman 5 826 04-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: okieman
  Nocturnal Seizures caused by SA ran-man 1 565 03-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Last Post: 12344321
  Cough related to CPAP use? thewentz 5 1,048 03-17-2016, 06:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred