Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry, dry nose
Dry, dry nose
I use my humidifier faithfully. Lately, my nose is beyond dry. I have it set on 80. Should I increase this? Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do? FYI, I live on the west coast and not near the ocean.

I do use AYR when I think about it but would like to have the humidifier setting where it is all I need on a daily basis rather than using AYR daily as well. I may have to use it but if I can find another solution, that would be ideal for me!!

Thanks for any ideas
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry, dry nose
I think we've all experienced dry nose on CPAP. I do periodically.
My humidifier is turn up quite high; and my Hi4 tank is near dry by morning.
I have occasionally used Vasoline in my nostrils to keep in moisture.
Seems to vary by season, ambient temperature and relative humidity.

The AYR nasal gel is a good idea. I think I'll pick some up.

I tried nasal irrigation with saline solution -- seemed to make things worse.

Kindest Regards

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2013, 09:57 AM)justMongo Wrote: My humidifier is turn up quite high; and my Hi4 tank is near dry by morning.

Thank you. How high is your humidifier set?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2013, 10:41 AM)me50 Wrote:
(09-20-2013, 09:57 AM)justMongo Wrote: My humidifier is turn up quite high; and my Hi4 tank is near dry by morning.

My S8 humidifier is not marked the same as your S9. My H4i on my S8 has a dial that goes from zero to 6 with steps in between. I have it set at 2. That consumes most of the water over 7 hours of use.
Sleep-well
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2013, 12:25 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(09-20-2013, 10:41 AM)me50 Wrote:

My S8 humidifier is not marked the same as your S9. My H4i on my S8 has a dial that goes from zero to 6 with steps in between. I have it set at 2. That consumes most of the water over 7 hours of use.
Sleep-well

Wow....must be a difference between the H4 and the H5 and the ambient relative humidities of where we live...I'm running my H5 at 5.5 (out of 6) and I hardly put a dent in my water over night.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[
Wow....must be a difference between the H4 and the H5 and the ambient relative humidities of where we live...I'm running my H5 at 5.5 (out of 6) and I hardly put a dent in my water over night.
[/quote]

I don't know anything about 0 to 6 that you mention. I only know that I can turn mine up as high as 86 F. I checked it out and if you use the climate line tubing, you won't see the 0 to 6. I also found out about the warm up feature that I wasn't told about and that is supposed to help some, however, I don't think that caused my dry nose as it would warm up on its own after using it. I am going to use the warm up feature tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

I guess I need to look around the forum to see about the 0 to 6 you speak of.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2013, 02:26 PM)me50 Wrote: I guess I need to look around the forum to see about the 0 to 6 you speak of.

My DME indicated that if you twist the climateline hose off so that the contacts aren't connected, you can access the humidity rather than temperature.

Not sure if it remains in effect with the climateline hose connected, but I've noticed a difference (real or placebo, I don't know). Still, I'm typically running between 80 and 80F (26-30C) and between 5 and 6 on the humidity and I still don't put much of a dent in the water unless I am running a ffm.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Still, I'm typically running between 80 and 80F (26-30C) and between 5 and 6 on the humidity and I still don't put much of a dent in the water unless I am running a ffm.
[/quote]

Where I live, we have very low humidity almost year around. My left ear was hurting so I took a nap while I waited for my appointment with my ENT. I slept for an hour and my AHI was 7.5 during that hour.

Because of my allergies, I use a ffm.

He said that my nose was swollen inside (most likely my allergies) and gave me a different nasal spray to use for a week. I also called the RT and she said that a lot of people are having trouble right now and to turn mine up to 86 and to use the warm up feature 20 minutes before I go to sleep.

So, I am going to try all of this and see what happens and will let you know.
Post Reply Post Reply
With ClimateLine attached and Climate Control set to "Auto" you can only adjust the temperature of the interior of the ClimateLine hose and the machine will automatically adjust the humidity level to the highest level ResMed sees as possible while reliably guaranteeing you won't get rain-out. If you detach the ClimateLine then set humidity level and then reconnect the ClimateLine it will just go back to Auto Climate Control function and the humidity level you set will be ignored. If you want to be able to set the humidity level on your own then you have to get into clinical settings menu and set Climate Control to "Manual" or "Patient" (if set to patient, then set to "Manual" out in main settings). When you do this you will then be able to set the hose temp and humidity level independently (water drop and thermometer both appear on home screen). When set to manual, there is no guarantee you won't get rain-out...and you will likely get rain-out if you set the humidity level high and hose temp low.

I leave my hose temp at max - 86F. I leave my humidity set at either 5.5 or 6, depending on how humid the air already is (with the goal of getting maximum humidity without running out of water before I wake up). I can usually leave it set at 6 in the summer, but have to bump it back to 5.5 in winter just to conserve the water. I do much better at 6 - I wish ResMed would have made the water tub larger.

Even with the humidity set that high, I have never gotten rain-out with my ClimateLine set at 86F.

I always use the warm up so I don't have to suffer the dry air for the 15 or 20 minutes it takes the water to warm up. Warm up might help you get to sleep, but likely won't help much as far as what's going on long-term through the night. If you are drying out and want to continue using Auto Climate Control, then just start increasing the hose temp gradually - this will allow the machine to automatically increase the humidity level. If you get to 86F and it is still too dry, then you will probably have to set to manual and increase humidity level on your own (ResMed's Auto Climate Control is a little conservative in order to make absolutely sure you don't get rain-out). If you get to 6 and are still dry and/or are running out of water, then welcome to the club...using xylimelts helps; or, you can get the F&P HC150 stand alone humidifier (larger tank and higher settings) and a Hybernite hose as others have done.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok....I was missing a step....thanks jog jones Smile I knew it could be done, just wasn't fully informed Smile

I guess it really is conservative then...for some reason mine absolutely sips water.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,990 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 174 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 652 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 467 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.