Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry eyes and CPAP
Dry eyes and CPAP
I know we have been through this at least once before.
I am having dry eye in one eye.
It's not from mask leaks as I cannot tolerate the least leak.

The tear duct next to the nose is actually a tear drain into the sinus.
I think our anatomy includes a flap type check valve.
CPAP pressurizes the sinuses.

What evidence exists that CPAP can blow into the eyes via that duct?
Any papers or studies?

I wonder, if true, would duct plugs help?

Mongo Cool
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry eyes and CPAP
Duct tape? Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
That is an excellent point, and very interesting, given that I've had issues with mild eye infections in my "down side" eye.
Normally, I'll just get some extra tearing in the morning, but every now and then I'll feel some irritation that's ALMOST like a sty, but without the "grain of sand" feeling... just mild pressure and discomfort, with some redness.

Lasts a few days and then clears up.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. I sleep on my side; and it's my down side eye.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My one eye leaks air when I am using the CPAP. Not every night, just whenever the mood strikes it. I discovered it because I felt air hitting my eyelid. I ran my finger all along the edge of the mask (I think I was using Simplus then) but could not find the leak. I put my finger up to that eye and the sound changed. If I pulled down the lower lid, I could hear the air.

Use a gel or even the ointment dry eye stuff before bed. The ointment can be messy and hard to clean off but worth it if the eye leak is bad enough. I use Systane/Alcon gel drops in my left eye most nights. They make one that is longer lasting and for "all night" use. I've not tried it since I can't find it locally but use the Genteal one.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen Systane available on Amazon. One has to keep the eye from drying out as it can damage the cornea. The cornea needs continuous moisture. There is no blood supply to nourish the cornea; and it has the highest refractive power of the eye on its front surface at nearly 40 diopters. The lens in the eye has only about 6 diopters power.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I used google scholar and found some papers on the subject some are behind pay walls. Heres one.http://medcraveonline.com/JLPRR/JLPRR-03-00107.pdf

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Nice find Dave. Thank you. I had no idea there were so many valves in that pathway.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Amazon? You can get it at any drug store or even grocery store.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula: I was born lazy. Although, if my refund on the returned O2 concentrator does not show as pending in my CC account tomorrow, Amazon will be on my PSL. (Might want to add PSL to the Wiki -- I'll define in the monitors forum)
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eyes Duncansleeps 17 2,187 04-15-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Dreamstation 2 vs. Aircurve 10 (Dry, Puffy Eyes) MrIvanDrago 15 1,126 11-09-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Nose mask vs nasal cushions and leak dry eyes silverdr 6 965 09-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Last Post: KeepingItSimple
Question Pressure on eyes, what could be the reason? newbieusa 4 543 09-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Last Post: UnknownActor
  “Tired eyes” & your experiences spetzal 1 819 12-24-2022, 01:36 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Puffy dry eyes thepiecesfit 7 1,519 09-26-2022, 07:02 AM
Last Post: walt48
  Mask venting air flow over eyes all night long dawoodsman 11 8,054 01-05-2022, 12:20 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.