Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help me understand "Unspecified Apnea"
Help me understand "Unspecified Apnea"
My AHI is out of control and I am trying to get my Dr's attention about it, but in the meantime looking at Sleepyhead stats indicate that I have mostly Hypopneas and UA.

What does that mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help me understand "Unspecified Apnea"
The Resmed ST does not differentiate between central and obstructive apnea, but flags all apnea as unclassified. The ST has a backup rate that triggers IPAP pressure if a spontaneous breath is not taken. Most of the time, if there is no respiratory response to that increase in pressure, the apnea may be considered obstructive, however if PS is not high enough to cause a breath, it may be an untreated central. In your case, PA is at 6 cm which is marginal for a breath to occur. You say AHI is out of control, what are the levels of apnea (UA) and hypopnea (H) you are seeing? Did your sleep study show central apnea with CPAP pressures? I don't recall why you have been prescribed ST vs ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
happy face = good mask fit = 70th percentile leak is less than 24 l/m
frowny face = mask need adjustment (large leak detected), during large leak something like 30 l/m or higher, the machine score those events as "unknwon", ahi is not accurate until mask fitted correctly and leak is under control ... happy face 
resmed machine display unintentional leak (total leak minus mask or/and mouth leak)

edit: reading the previous reply, not sure if the above info apply to st machines, haven't used one
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep study was unremarkable. I think the AHI was about 8. That does not comport with the real world numbers. AHI is from 10 to 50. Has been under 10 only twice in the last six months. My machine was changed from S to ST in April. I am trying to get my dr interested in ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
In st mode, a PS of 5 will give me a flow of 14l/m for a triggered breath, which is about half volume. It will really help if you put a sleepyhead chart up.

I just googled the s10, it has IVAPS and introduces another volume support. (some s9 st came with ivaps and some didn't, I got the didn't.)
"The AirCurve 10 S/T features iVAPS technology which is a solution for unobtrusive ventilation. iVAPS targets alveolar ventilation for stable gas exchange in respiratory episodes. When necessary, iVAPS initiates a type of secondary pressure which takes advantage of Vsync leak compensation to better create patient-ventilation synchrony."

page 25 explains how IVAPS works in the s9
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 87 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 97 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 271 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Newby trying to understand what i am seeing WoodyV12 18 979 02-24-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Macka
Question [CPAP] Help to understand current situation and OSCAR data 3dkid14 0 253 01-18-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: 3dkid14
  Help to understand results, please Olis001 5 425 11-30-2023, 12:04 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.