Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry lips...!
Dry lips...!
Sometimes I wake up because my lips (top and bottom) inside, stick to the teeth (dry) but the rest is normal !!!!!
What can I do about ?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry lips...!
I found XyliMelts to help greatly with the dry mouth. And many folks on the other board have found Orajel Dry Mouth relief helpful also.

Regarding the dry lips, I apply lip balm before going to bed and when I wake up. Helps somewhat.

Good luck in resolving your issues.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2016, 05:49 AM)49er Wrote: I found XyliMelts to help greatly with the dry mouth. And many folks on the other board have found Orajel Dry Mouth relief helpful also.

Regarding the dry lips, I apply lip balm before going to bed and when I wake up. Helps somewhat.

Good luck in resolving your issues.

49er

Thanks 49er. In my case the lips are sometime (maybe one or max three / night) inside and not outside dry! Not the complete mouth! So I can't use any balm!
XyliMelts is fine for whole mouth but not specially for the front under the lips!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, menaralf.

There's a problem called "lip leaking" that can happen with CPAP, when small puffs of air escape our mouths at times. If you use the SleepyHead program, you can look at some zoomed in portions of your breathing flow rate graph to see if it looks like you have "expiratory mouth breathing" going on.

If you're looking at SleepyHead graphs, take a look at the bottom line on the leaks graph, too, to be sure you don't have major leaking going on. I'd expect major leaks from your mouth to cause your whole mouth to feel dry, but I'd still check, if you decide to download the program.

If lip leaking is what's happening with you, it won't keep your CPAP machine from providing effective therapy, because the amount of air leaving your mouth is very small.

I used the Nuance Pro nasal pillows for 3 days a couple of months ago. The vented air from them really irritated my lips and eyes, although I don't think that's a common problem based on the reviews of the mask that I've read. It was the outside of my lips that got dry, though, and not the inside. I still think it could be worth trying to figure out a way to shield your lips from the air from the mask vent to see if that's what is causing the problem. I don't know exactly how you'd do that. Paper tape? Fake mustache?

Dry mouth is a risk factor for tooth decay as well as being annoying, so I hope that you are able to find a solution. I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions from people in this forum.

Welcome

(07-17-2016, 04:30 AM)menaralf Wrote: Sometimes I wake up because my lips (top and bottom) inside, stick to the teeth (dry) but the rest is normal !!!!!
What can I do about ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your excellent explanation. Last night I realized that sometime my mouth was open! I’ll go tomorrow to the doc. to help solving this problem....Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2016, 10:34 AM)green wings Wrote: Hello, menaralf.

There's a problem called "lip leaking" that can happen with CPAP, when small puffs of air escape our mouths at times. If you use the SleepyHead program, you can look at some zoomed in portions of your breathing flow rate graph to see if it looks like you have "expiratory mouth breathing" going on.

(07-17-2016, 04:30 AM)menaralf Wrote: Sometimes I wake up because my lips (top and bottom) inside, stick to the teeth (dry) but the rest is normal !!!!!
What can I do about ?

This is excellent. I was wondering how you could get dry lips when using pillows. This may have been one of my issues over the winter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here a graph from yesterday. I’m quite new with SleepyHead and I don’t know how to interpret!

[Image: SleepyHead.jpg?dl=0]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chapped lips more then usual Teddysjam 0 551 11-27-2021, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Teddysjam
  when i wake up i have a dry mouth and glued lips genaropena 3 1,085 03-23-2020, 08:59 PM
Last Post: beneyw
  Taping Lips - is it safe silversnore 5 1,796 03-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Last Post: silversnore
  Not mouth breathing but air leaking between lips Roy289 20 4,439 11-11-2016, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Will insurance cover ziplock lips? FrankNichols 4 1,501 05-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Last Post: forrestc
  Dry lips/dry mouth Inky1 3 1,780 02-25-2016, 03:45 PM
Last Post: woozie38
  lips opening from s9 when not from respironics m magicis 16 3,780 09-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Last Post: magicis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.