Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth
RE: Dry mouth
I could never get the tongue tucking thing to work for me. I had my doubts when I first heard about it. It seems if you could train yourself to keep your tongue tucked you could train yourself to keep your throat open!

Nevertheless I tried it and I thought it was working. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all, 

Thanks for all of your input. I should've expanded on my comment about the tongue tucking thing, I thought that was what was implied - not cutting off the air...  I will try that also. 

Meds and dry mouth - Boy, you said it. 

Thank you once again !
Dreamless
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2017, 05:28 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I could never get the tongue tucking thing to work for me. I had my doubts when I first heard about it. It seems if you could train yourself to keep your tongue tucked you could train yourself to keep your throat open!

Nevertheless I tried it and I thought it was working. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough.

My leaks were horrible with the FFM. When I switched to Pillows, together with a soft collar, I commenced the tongue tuck technique. On the whole it has been successful as my leaks are generally below 24 and are not registered as large leaks. The collar helps with preventing chin drooping to close my upper airways and also keeping my mouth closed. At times I do wake up with a bit of whooshing air to feel my tongue dropped-I think this is when I have rolled onto my back. I do that periodically but my numbers have been generally below 1 for the last 5 months or so, so I accept that.

Tongue tucking produces that stopper to stop air leaking through our mouths and closing the oesophagus and has helped with aerophagia too. Have to say, all that was done in association with slow reduction of prescription pressure of 16.8 cm H2O to 11 cm H2O. Think lower pressure has helped with less irritation when leaks occur so less sleep disturbance. For this I am still looking to reduce pressure but will take it real slow now, possibility with .1 cm H2O at a time.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you on any prescription or OTC medication that can cause dry mouth? The medical term is Xerostomia.

Older OTC antihistamines like diphenhydramine & doxylamine are infamous for doing this, for example and are often used as sleep aids.

Some prescription anti-Depressants do this, like Trazodone, which is often prescribed as a sleep aid.

If you have reason to suspect this, you can look them up on Wikipedia, and potentially replace the problematic ones.

Good luck!
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
Only Xylimelts works for me. Chin straps, tapes, cervical collar and Biotene all don't work at all. I have less of an issue when used together with a FFM like F20. Doesn't work as well if I use it with nasal masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dawnstar, 

I will have to go over my meds and check with my doc, if there are any that can cause dry mouth, about the possibility of switching to something that may not.

So far, the xylimelts are working better than anything else I've tried.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't had a dry mouth since I started using Biotene rinse.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 73 10 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 1 63 Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 788 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 617 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 192 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 335 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,223 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.