Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth
Dry mouth
Dry mouth
thank you 
melstan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth
What about dry mouth do you want to discuss--do you have it? Looking for help? Welcome to this forum--you can get answers here!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ResMed S9 that works great but sllows air to build up in my mouth that pushes my lips open and this drys out my mouth.
I can't find the setting to adjust that, my settings are 15 and 5.
Thanks
melstan
Post Reply Post Reply
By settings of 5 and 15 do you mean you are running in auto mode with a pressure range of between 5 and 15? In your profile you state unsure of your pressure settings. There is no machine setting to prevent your lips from opening and air escaping when using a nasal mask. The resulting leaks may also prevent your machine from providing adequate treatment or recording accurate data. I had the same problem and had to go to a full face mask.  Others will post methods for dealing with htis problem to allow continued use of a nasal mask.

You state that you  have SleepyHead. Please post some data and we will be better able to help you. See the links below for how to do it.

There are a number of products that help with dry mouth. One is a mouthwash
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi melstan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Are you using a humidifier, if so, where is it set?
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responser to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am trying to use the machine with the humidifier off, trying to get rid of the pressure that makes my lips open, I've tried adjusting it from off all yhe way up to the max.
I think I might have entered the wrong settings, they are 5 and 15.
thank you
Melstan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi melstan,  Welcome to the Apneaboard.

The humidifier is not adjusting the pressure, it is adjusting the amount of humidity you get from the machine.
Now, you want to turn the humidity up so as you do not get dryness in your throat or nose while using the machine.
It is the pressure or air that is coming out into your mouth from your throat that is causing you the problem, this might start off slowly, or it might be when you open your mouth during sleep.
The one thing that does happen is that once your mouth starts to dry from the air escaping, it is almost impossible to stop it escaping until you wet your mouth again.  You can hold your mouth tightly shut, but the air will still find its way out of your lips.

There are two ways to deal with this:

1) Get yourself a Full-faced mask.  There is also a Hybrid mask that combines nasal pillows and a FFM, but they are not very popular.

2) This is not recommended, tape your mouth shut.

As the pressure is coming out your lips, a chin strap might not help, however, you could try to see if it keeps your mouth closed for longer.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it a Resmed Airsense10Autoset you have or a CPAP.  It will tell you bottom right of the machine or the label on the back.

Here is the manual for all the machines listed, or you can request a manual from this site.

https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed-...%20her.pdf
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I just noticed that I neglected to name the mouthwash for dry mouth. It is Biotine. I don't know how much relief it will give you, however, until you get the leaking through your lips problem resolved.

I encourage you again to post SleepyHead data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot that I needed to change my profile on my posts as I've changed machines.
I have been using a Airsense 10 for about 9 months but am unhappy with the results, can't keep the AHI results under 10 so am trying to go back to my old Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt that never got AHI readings above 5.
Several years ago I used a face mask but all it did is collect all the slober.
I have tried the tape but ???
I do use a chin strap
hank You
Melstan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 41 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 320 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,082 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 812 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,171 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.