Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth
RE: Dry mouth
1 - Soft Cervical Collar
2 - Do a search for "Tongue suck technique"

The problem is that you are allowing the air pressure to collect behind your lips. The tongue suck technique blocks the air in the back of your mouth and prevents your cheeks and lips from inflating and blowing out.

Put the tip of your tongue on the back of your upper gumline.
Arch your tongue so it fills your hard pallet
GENTLY apply suction. This "seals" your tongue to the roof of your mouth and your cheeks to your teeth.

Practice during the day and it will become 2nd nature while you sleep.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2018, 06:15 PM)melstan Wrote: I forgot that I needed to change my profile on my posts as I've changed machines.
I have been using a Airsense 10 for about 9 months but am unhappy with the results, can't keep the AHI results under 10 so am trying to go back to my old Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt that never got AHI readings above 5.
Several years ago I used a face mask but all it did is collect all the slober.
I have tried the tape but ???
I do use a chin strap
hank You
Melstan

The autoset is a very different machine to the resumed s9 adapt. The adapt treats central apnea by having variable pressure support to make you breath. Maybe some charts would help but could explain the higher ahi on the autoset
Post Reply Post Reply
I started with a loaner ResMed AS-10 Autoset with nasal mask by AirFit. I was soon on straight 4-8 CPAP, and ended up purchasing an AS-10 Elite. From the beginning, though, I opened my mouth and was immediately startled out of my cascade into sleep. Every time. I haven't been able to get better than about 85% on the tongue-to rear palate technique; as I fall asleep my lips lose their tone and out comes that startling gale.

Starting the second night, nearly three months ago, I began to use 2.5 cm wide white surgical tape. I found 3M NexCare that is water resistant, a better product than the white sports tape I started using at first.

Some might be put off with taping over one's mouth, but it's the only answer for me and I have not looked back. Only one morning, three days ago it happens, have I awakened clawing at my mouth and mask. This was moments before my usual awakening time. Both nostrils had plugged and I was out of rope. The next two mornings have been uneventful.

If you can do this calmly, without freaking out over only being able to breath through your nose, you will find that it is an obvious, and perhaps critically necessary solution. Your therapy will improve, your health will improve, and if you have to claw at the tape one night a month, it's a small price to pay. It's not like you'll die...you'll awaken and quickly restore your breathing. I don't even remember my heart pounding. It all took two seconds.

One tip, if you decide to give it a try: ensure your tape extends about one full cm past the very corners of your lips. Puff out your cheeks, keeping your lips closed, and apply the tape that way. It may seem strange, but that is how you'll spend the night as you sleep, so best to get used to both that feeling as you drift into sleep, and best to apply the tape as it will have to maintain it's seal. That is what I have found works best.

Good luck. Nobody every told you this wasn't going to be an adventure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2018, 02:45 AM)jaswilliams Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 06:15 PM)melstan Wrote: I forgot that I needed to change my profile on my posts as I've changed machines.
I have been using a Airsense 10 for about 9 months but am unhappy with the results, can't keep the AHI results under 10 so am trying to go back to my old Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt that never got AHI readings above 5.
Several years ago I used a face mask but all it did is collect all the slober.
I have tried the tape but ???
I do use a chin strap
hank You
Melstan

The autoset is a very different machine to the resumed s9 adapt. The adapt treats central apnea by having variable pressure support to make you breath. Maybe some charts would help but could explain the higher ahi on the autoset
Post Reply Post Reply
I also had problems with dry mouth when using the Airsense 10.  I found that I'd breath IN using my nose, and then OUT using my mouth.

You may find relief by enabling EPR and setting it to Level 3.  

Alternatively, you might tell your doctor that you're having difficulty breathing OUT against the pressure, and ask him or her to see if you might benefit from a Bi-Level machine (BiPAP) such as the AirCurve 10 VAUTO...
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the summary charts you have posted. There are many differences between the way the two machines have been configured can you provide the exact model of the s9 it looks like a bilevel machine. Set with a maximum pressure of 20 whereas your autoset was configured with a max pressure of 15, it is not possible to match the settings between the two machines. With a max pressure of 15 your hypopneas were increased and the CA's due to the pressure changes. The figures look better at the max pressure of 20 but your pushing the limits of the A10 Autoset and as the max epr is 3 you will be breathing out against a pressure of 17 not ideal
Post Reply Post Reply
Melstan, could you PLEASE post just one Daily detail chart? Instructions for organizing are in my signature. In your case, including Events, Flow Rate, Mask Pressure and Flow Limits would be ideal. I can see a pathway to get you some much lower results, but it's still unclear what your VPAP Adapt settings are. It may really help you to get into ASV auto mode with EPAP min 5, EPAP max 8, PS min 2, PS max 12, but again what you have posted so far leaves us clueless on your settings.

Your overview chart has some old data, and whatever you were using on Sept 15 there seemed to be working.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 384 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 319 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,169 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.