Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth
Dry mouth
I have been having a problem with dry mouth and throat, especially my mouth lately. It wasn't bad at first, but is becoming more frequent.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth
Are you using the humidifier? If yes then Xylimelts or Biotene spray is your best friend. Here in germany we have Snorisol which is by far the most effective I have ever used.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I am using a humidifier. I tend to be a mouth breather but have been trying to breath thru my nose more. Maybe I'm reverting to the mouth breathing. Where do I get what you mentioned? What are they?
Post Reply Post Reply
Google those products so you can readily see what they are.

These products help keep your mouth moist. You can purchase them in any big box store, drug store or on line. Try Amazon.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2019, 04:50 AM)crowtor Wrote: Are you using the humidifier? If yes then Xylimelts or Biotene spray is your best friend. Here in germany we have Snorisol which is by far the most effective I have ever used.

When you get around to posting your OSCAR charts it will be clear if you are mouth breathing.  Hopefully you can post a chart or two soon!  I know you are working towards this Lee.  Of course dry mouth probably is symptomatic of mouth-breathing.   I suppose another solution would be to try a different type of mask.

Some people use  chin straps that seem to work for them in stopping mouth breathing.   I took the advice someone offered about keeping my tongue on the roof of my mouth.  That seems to work for me although sometimes I still get dry mouth due to leaks/mouth breathing, but nothing too bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Breathing

Many solutions for mouth breathing here
Post Reply Post Reply
ACT lozenges at Walmart work well. They have the same ingredient as Xylimelts. Just let one dissolve slowly between your cheek and gum.

I used to be able to control mouth leaks with just a chin strap well enough to use a nasal pillow mask. A few months ago I started having issues with mouth leaks despite the chin strap. I finally got them under control by using a combination of a full face mask, a Releaf cervical collar and a double sided sports mouth guard.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2019, 03:27 AM)Lee Rilea Wrote: I have been having a problem with dry mouth and throat, especially my mouth lately. It wasn't bad at first, but is becoming more frequent.

Terrible problem I also experienced. I thought it was going to make me have to stop using the machine. Kept a little kid sippy cup by the machine, tried all the humidity settings, woke up all the time, tried different mouth/chin straps, etc.

With the chin straps I felt like a mummy and it was worse. Way too much head gear.

I knew something had to be done so I turned off the humidifier, removed the sippy cup and every time I would wake up from a dry mouth and throat I closed my mouth and let it re-moisten itself and told my brain to keep my mouth shut.

Took a short while but I have not had the problem for months. 

Force yourself to adapt... Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2019, 03:27 AM)Lee Rilea Wrote: I have been having a problem with dry mouth and throat, especially my mouth lately. It wasn't bad at first, but is becoming more frequent.

I've had the same problem with dry mouth at night so I started using a chinstrap. It worked for a while then it would get stretched and weak then the quality of the chinstraps got a lot worse so I tried several different ones with little success. I did a google search and found this site and posts that talked about the subject and someone posted about using a neck brace. I ordered one and have been using it about a month and will never go back to a chinstrap. Here's the one I got and there's a different brand like it though more expensive. Might work for you too. Would give credit to the one who suggested this, but have lost the post.

Here's what to search for although it is not what I would think a pillow looks like.

The Eliminator Series Washable Travel Sleep Pillow
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 3 4 minutes ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 359 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 800 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.