Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth
Dry mouth
Good Evening. all
I have been having a problem with dry mouth. I wake in the morning and my mouth is so dry my throat. hurts .I wear my chip strap and I think. it keeps my mouth shut any ideas

Linda
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth
Are you using a humidifier?
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried increasing your humidity level? Also, adequate hydration is huge.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 07:01 PM)afriedma Wrote: Are you using a humidifier?

Yes I do have a humidifier. I fill every. Nite with water i have a Fisher Poykel
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 07:00 PM)shortyd Wrote: Good Evening. all
I have been having a problem with dry mouth. I wake in the morning and my mouth is so dry my throat. hurts .I wear my chip strap and I think. it keeps my mouth shut any ideas

Linda

If you are using a humidifier, and the water level goes down in the tank so you know it's working, then my guess is you are not successfully keeping your mouth shut. So if that's the case, revisit the chinstrap. Make sure it is keeping your jaw gently forward so that you can block the airway by resting your tongue on the roof of your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 07:23 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 07:00 PM)shortyd Wrote: Good Evening. all

Linda

If you are using a humidifier, and the water level goes down in the tank so you know it's working, then my guess is you are not successfully keeping your mouth shut. So if that's the case, revisit the chinstrap. Make sure it is keeping your jaw gently forward so that you can block the airway by resting your tongue on the roof of your mouth.

Thanks I"mm try that I wanted to try taping my mouth shut but I just don't. Get it seems strange to me
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't do the taping thing. Some folks do, but I think it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Work with the chinstrap placement and the tongue placement and you'll get it. Just remember to stay gentle with the chinstrap. If you cinch it down too tightly it will cause great pain in the whatchacallit gland. So in the end, it's an art form, not a science.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 07:33 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Don't do the taping thing. Some folks do, but I think it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Work with the chinstrap placement and the tongue placement and you'll get it. Just remember to stay gentle with the chinstrap. If you cinch it down too tightly it will cause great pain in the whatchacallit gland. So in the end, it's an art form, not a science.

Ii try but I think I put my head gear and strap to tight because. I get dents in my face and I hate them
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 07:39 PM)shortyd Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 07:33 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Don't do the taping thing. Some folks do, but I think it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Work with the chinstrap placement and the tongue placement and you'll get it. Just remember to stay gentle with the chinstrap. If you cinch it down too tightly it will cause great pain in the whatchacallit gland. So in the end, it's an art form, not a science.

Ii try but I think I put my head gear and strap to tight because. I get dents in my face and I hate them

Sorry guys for the typo I also have fibro and I really don't. sleep 3 to 4 hours a Nite so most of the time I"m in a fog lol!
Linda
Post Reply Post Reply
[/quote]

Hi shortyd,
Your headgear is definetly too tight if it leaves marks on your face. You can try the chin strap over your mask or under the mask. See what works best for you.
Also, try some lanolin cream with the nasal pillows, just a small amount. It will help them seal better in nostril.
OpalRose
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,168 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.