Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth Queations for newbie
Dry mouth Queations for newbie
Hello All,

As I finish my first week the last 2 days I wake up with a super dry mouth. I dont have a dry throat.

What should I do, settings , use the humidifier, change some options??

Thanks for helping me.

Huh Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth Queations for newbie
Welcome to the forum. Do you have much leakage? That will cause dry mouth. I use a full face mask and until I got large leaks controlled I had horrible dry mouth. It would be good to complete your profile with the full name of your machine (is it an Airsense 10 Autoset?), and the mask you are using.

Also, the humidifier should help. You may want to start with a setting of 4.

Also, if you post some sleepyhead data we will be able to better understand what's happening and provide you with advice. See the links below for how to organize your data (very important) and how to post it here.

Also you may find the mask primer helpful. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I am having leakage....15x.

I do have my info in my profile. Airsense 10 Auto.

Thanks for the info.

Once I get my SD card I will work on uploading data.

Shy Shy
Post Reply Post Reply
Continue to fuss with your settings, but if the dry mouth is waking you, check the drugstore for Bioteem Moisturizing Mouth Spray. Most of my bro's problems are caused by meds, but some people waken from dry mouth while figuring out their settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even with a full face mask I find that a chin strap does much to fix the dry mouth.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Ed.  If you mouth breathe with a nasal mask or pillows you will have sandpaper mouth.   Grin   But it can still be uncomfortably dry with a full face mask and leaks make it so much worse.  I disliked the chin strap, but a soft cervical collar fixed it for me.  You have to experiment and see what works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
The soft cervical collar is another approach to avoiding mask leaks. It not only has the benefit of a better head and neck airway alignment, but it can put gentle pressure at the back of the jaw which greatly helps keep the mouth closed, and stabilizes a full face mask. It should cost no more than $10-20 to find out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2017, 09:31 PM)Matzaball2016 Wrote: Hello All,

As I finish my first week the last 2 days I wake up with a super dry mouth. I dont have a dry throat.

What should I do, settings , use the humidifier, change some options??

Thanks for helping me.

Huh Huh

i only have that when there is a tiny gap between my lips
not mouth breathing but air could dry out the mouth 

if you are mouth breathing it will happen 

find the cause then the fix will be clearer
Post Reply Post Reply
My problem was that the air would come through the back of my nose and blow push through my lips. I was inhaling and exhaling through my nose, but the wind through my mouth would dry it out terribly. Chin straps would hold my mouth closed, but not my lips. I finally got the Ultimate Chin Strap which keeps my mouth closed and my lips together. That did the trick!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2017, 11:12 PM)Leemax Wrote: My problem was that the air would come through the back of my nose and blow push through my lips. I was inhaling and exhaling through my nose, but the wind through my mouth would dry it out terribly. Chin straps would hold my mouth closed, but not my lips. I finally got the Ultimate Chin Strap which keeps my mouth closed and my lips together. That did the trick!

I've just started using the Ultimate Chin Strap with good results so far.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 30 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 370 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.