Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth and oral devices
Dry mouth and oral devices
Newish cpap user here. I have two questions.

1.  Dry mouth.  I am experiencing dry mouth.  The only stop gap solution I have found is to use xylamelts and then tape my mouth shut.  I am using a full face mask.  

Turning the humidifier higher on my machine doesn't help and only wakes me up with gurgling sounds from the condensation in my hose.

I welcome any special tapes that don't peel my face off in the morning or other suggestions.

2.  Oral devices - has anyone had overall success with custom made or over the counter oral devices?  Per sleepy head, I consistently have an ahi of around 10 and am wondering if keeping my jaw in line could help. 

Thanks for any thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth and oral devices
I have a terrible time with dry mouth as well. I recently bought the Biotene gel for dry mouth. Unfortunately I don't see that it makes any difference using it. Still just as dry in the morning. I have never tried mouth taping though I know people do it. I am claustrophobic and think that would freak me out. I wear a mouth guard because I grind my teeth but have never tried any other oral device.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using a full face mask and if I do nothing else. I end up with dry mouth. My problem is not leakage but that can be part of the problem. My 95% leaks are generally zero. I believe that some of us are more susceptible to dry mouth than others due to medications and/or genetics and/or maybe some other reasons too.

Increased humidity will generally help but not necessarily cure dry mouth. Sometimes it is all that is needed.  If you give up because of rain out, you are not giving it a good shot. There are ways to prevent rain out (condensation). Insulating sleeves around the tubing. They can be either purchased or home made. ClimateLine (heated) tubing works great. Running your tubing under the covers and even laying on it can provide enough heat to prevent rain out.

I use the climateline tubing. In addition, I do the following things:
  • I use Biotene mouthwash for dry mouth just before going to bed.
  • I use a chinstrap to aid in keeping my mouth closed .
  • I try to use the "tongue suck technique" to keep my airway confined to my nose. I am somewhat but not completely successful with it. This is a method where you close your mouth, place your tongue against the roof of your mouth and gently suck it back a little in your mouth. This will close the mouth off from the airway.

Many would think that using a full face mask should keep air from going out through your mouth due to your mouth being pressurized both inside and out. This would be true if this system was static but it is not and the pressure is not always the same on both sides of your lips and your lips are not very good at holding pressure back..

I tested this several times while using my full face mask. I would wake up in the morning sometimes with air being pushed out of my lips. So I laid there and clamped my mouth and lips together as tight as I could  and waited to see if I could hold the pressure back. I could not and I tried a number of times with the same result.

Good luck with your dry mouth prevention.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have found that a chin strap helps. Like you guys I use a full face mask and still got dry mouth.

Also "XyliMelts" work pretty well for me. You stick them to the roof of your mouth and they slowly drip peppermint sweetness. They are sugar free, using Xylitol for sweetness. I find if I get right to sleep one lasts pretty well all night, but if I have trouble dropping off they "wear out" after about 40 minutes. Strange.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the biotene gel as well and I know what you mean. It doesn't do much.  The xylamelts do help. I put two of those in my mouth every night.  They actually stick to your gums and last about 4-5 hours.  I also put medical tape over my mouth.  It is slightly uncomfortable at first, but i have gotten completely used to having the tape.  It is just that it is kinda of drying my skin out around my mouth as i have sticky stuff on my mouth every morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
3M has several tapes that are easily removed. I found this site http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/78459...atalog.pdf to be useful. I have used the 3M Kind Removal Silicone Tape but found that it did not adhere enough for me. I then tried Medipore Tape and found it to be very sticky and keeps my lips sealed, however some what too secure. I am planning on trying some tapes that are rated with lesser adhesion. The Micropore tape has been referenced several times in this forum by other users indicating that it works well. These tapes even when sticky can be removed without leaving adhesive residue and not tearing your the skin from your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Thanks for the info silversnore.  I have experimented w/ several different kinds of tape and this is what i needed.  Thanks again. Thanks

Ed,

Thought I would pass along one more comment about the xylimelts.  I tried an off brand generic xylimelt along side the branded stuff and found that the off brand actually was still there in the morning while the brand had dissolved.  All that to say, I will now be buying some of the other brands to test those as well.

They apparently aren't all exactly the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2017, 12:42 PM)Zandor435 Wrote: Thanks for the info silversnore.  I have experimented w/ several different kinds of tape and this is what i needed.  Thanks again. Thanks

Ed,

Thought I would pass along one more comment about the xylimelts.  I tried an off brand generic xylimelt along side the branded stuff and found that the off brand actually was still there in the morning while the brand had dissolved.  All that to say, I will now be buying some of the other brands to test those as well.

They apparently aren't all exactly the same.

May I ask what the off brand was?  I am having a hard time even finding the xylimelts at local pharmacy's.
Post Reply Post Reply
An adult sized pacifier, when coupled with nasal pillows and a tight chinstrap COMPLETELY eliminated dry mouth and air leak from the mouth for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone!

Newbie here (23rd night tonight) who uses nasal pillows and having great results using a soft cervical collar and 3M Micropore tape (gentle and leaves zero adhesive behind) to keep my mouth closed and my airway open (no leaking and AHI consistently below 1.0). Also, doing tongue exercises throughout the day to train my tongue to stay at the roof of my mouth (i use Tic Tacs).  I used the oral appliances for three years-- not NEARLY as effective as xPAP, wreaked havoc on my jaw-- my bite is a mess and my teeth shifted a great deal, and the cost is roughly 3K for three years.  I would not recommend them ever.
--Leslie

"It will all be fine in the end. If it isn't fine, it isn't the end."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,846 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.