Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth and throat
Surprised 
Dry mouth and throat
I'm new with my sleep apnea and dealing with my CPAP machine (I just found out that mine is a BRICK).

Is there any way to prevent the dry mouth and throat? Sometimes I have to wake up in the middle of the night to drink some water. My CPAP have a humidifier and heater. Also, I use a nasal mask and I inhale and exhale thru my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth and throat
(03-05-2016, 08:57 PM)Rallypoint0324 Wrote: I'm new with my sleep apnea and dealing with my CPAP machine (I just found out that mine is a BRICK).

Is there any way to prevent the dry mouth and throat? Sometimes I have to wake up in the middle of the night to drink some water. My CPAP have a humidifier and heater. Also, I use a nasal mask and I inhale and exhale thru my nose.

You can try turning your humidifier up to see if that helps. Also, there are mouth rinses for dry mouth, like Biotene.

Are you sure your not mouth breathing during the night? That would be the only other thing to cause dry mouth. Sometime, we don't even realize we are mouth breathing. If you are, then try a chin strap.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
yup - what she said Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rallypoint0324,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
yup, what she(2) said.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Rally, I have been using CPAP for a couple of months and had a real problem with dry mouth and nasal passages when I first started. I increased the humidifier setting and also started taking a shower most nights before bed.

I'm not sure if I have somehow adjusted to the CPAP (?) or if I was breathing through my mouth some early on and have since stopped or if it's because it was lots colder and drier in January than it is now, but I am mostly doing okay now. I think the shower does help quite a bit, because I have skipped it a few times recently and woke up around 4-5 am with dry and stuffy nasal passages.

It seems to be a trial-and-error process to get things working.
Post Reply Post Reply
I needed to upgrade to the heated hose to fully take advantage of the humidifier.
Sleeping better since 01/13/2016 Smile

Masks I have tried to date
AirFit F10-FFM, AirFit N10-Nasal, Mirage Liberty-Hybrid FFM, Mirage Quattro-FFM, Swift FX Nano-Pillow, Mirage Activa LT-Nasal, ComfortGel Blue-FFM, Amara View -FFM, Pilairo Q -Pillow
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2016, 09:08 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 08:57 PM)Rallypoint0324 Wrote: I'm new with my sleep apnea and dealing with my CPAP machine (I just found out that mine is a BRICK).

You can try turning your humidifier up to see if that helps. Also, there are mouth rinses for dry mouth, like Biotene.

Are you sure your not mouth breathing during the night? That would be the only other thing to cause dry mouth. Sometime, we don't even realize we are mouth breathing. If you are, then try a chin strap.

I use Xylimelts - you put 2 on your gum - they stick - and it relieves my dry mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am just 6 days in so I can relate! I've had a dry mouth a couple of times in the middle of the night. Already knocked over one glass of waterSmile It's getting better but I did go out and get an oxo sippy cup for kids. It's small and nothing spills if you knock it over! I've only had to use it a couple of times but it's nice to have on handSmile It's not as kid like as some, almost an adult version. At least that's the way I choose to think of it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2016, 08:57 PM)Rallypoint0324 Wrote: My CPAP have a humidifier and heater. Also, I use a nasal mask and I inhale and exhale thru my nose.
Is the machine 60 series and have the heated hose option?
Try chinstrap, helps keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks, mouth leak can cause dry mouth

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 309 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 799 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.