Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth even with mouth closed with tape
Dry mouth even with mouth closed with tape
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why I have dry mouth after a night with the CPAP. 

I'm using the Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset with the heated tube and humidifier on auto with the Resmed N20 nasal mask. I use mouth tape to close my mouth at night. So how come even with the humidifier, heated tube, and my mouth shut, I still get dry mouth? What else do I need to do? 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth even with mouth closed with tape
Some mouth tapes are "air permeable". So you can still have air going out. I use "Cover Roll", which is air permeable. I ended up double layering it to help. Maybe your tape isn't long enough, or wide enough -- or try a double layer. I did that for several months, and now I'm down to just a single layer. Just some suggestions, find what works for you. Maybe your humidity level isn't up high enough, or air tube temp needs adjusting?? Facial hair reduces the efficiency of tape. And some tapes aren't sticky enough or large enough.
And also, maybe your pressure is set too high. Since I don't use your machine, someone more knowledgeable than me will have to weigh in.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turns out my mouth was still open. When I tape my mouth I only tape the center of my lips so that in case I have to breathe through my mouth I still can, but it is significantly more difficult. I was still somehow breathing through my mouth through the tiny opening on the edge of my lips, and that caused my mouth to go dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seems like that would not be enough to dry your mouth unless you are in a very low humidity area.

Have you started any new medicines lately? 

Could be you are developing a new medical condition. Try non-prescription dry mouth rinses also to see if it helps.
-- Bill
Struggling to keep the air moving like everyone else …  ?

Standard Disclaimer:
I'm just a CPAP user like you. I can't give medical advice. 
  Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in a dry area and actually do better with a FF mask and the humidifier turned up. That way, mouth or nose, the air I breathe is more humid than the ambient air.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to consider using a better tape.  I use Medvance 2-inch tape, cut about 4-1/2 long.  The tape is pricey, but it works very well.  I can use the same piece of tape for a week, maybe more - I haven't tried.  It sticks well but can be removed and stuck back on comfortably and easily.  I buy mine from Amazon.  I don't think I'm supposed to add a link or I would.  Just do a search on Amazon.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.