Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth even with taped mouth and cervical collar
RE: Dry mouth even with taped mouth and cervical collar
I have continuing dry mouth/throat problems despite very low leak rates. I do take water pills and meds that can cause dry mouth. The dry mouth didn't disappear when I tried an Amara View mask for a few days... when my mouth gets relaly dry it seals my mouth shut and no leaks! I just try and get used to it--water and Thearabreath drops. So far haven't found Xylimint.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sidesleeper, you can try Amazon for Xylimelts. They seem to be working for me now. Last night I took one before bed and then woke for toilet break. Mouth wasn't dry. Took another one before going back to bed and woke up this morning with normal moist mouth. Just ordered Biotene mouth wash. Will take a couple of weeks to reach me though. Hope to update further then.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2017, 02:04 AM)st8800 Wrote: Sidesleeper, you can try Amazon for Xylimelts. They seem to be working for me now. Last night I took one before bed and then woke for toilet break. Mouth wasn't dry. Took another one before going back to bed and woke up this morning with normal moist mouth. Just ordered Biotene mouth wash. Will take a couple of weeks to reach me though. Hope to update further then.

Good you've found something that works but just wondering how long will you have to orally take Xylimelts and use Biotene mouth wash. Might be better to determine the root cause of the dry mouth, and just take these as temporary measures. It's like having to take medication for life, but probably with less harmful side effects. Thinking-about JMTCs...
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a full face mask and still get terrible dry mouth.  I have been using the Xylimelts for about a month now.  It is a tiny bit better for me but I still have a fairly dry mouth when I wake up.  I found the Xylimelts at the local CVS near me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2017, 10:38 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 02:04 AM)st8800 Wrote: Sidesleeper, you can try Amazon for Xylimelts. They seem to be working for me now. Last night I took one before bed and then woke for toilet break. Mouth wasn't dry. Took another one before going back to bed and woke up this morning with normal moist mouth. Just ordered Biotene mouth wash. Will take a couple of weeks to reach me though. Hope to update further then.

Good you've found something that works but just wondering how long will you have to orally take Xylimelts and use Biotene mouth wash. Might be better to determine the root cause of the dry mouth, and just take these as temporary measures. It's like having to take medication for life, but probably with less harmful side effects. Thinking-about JMTCs...

And it's worth just that 2 cents.... 

Maybe I have to take the Xylimelts and Biotene for life, until I find a better solution. Most of us here will be on CPAP for life, so what's new?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a full face mask and a chinstrap and Biotene mouth wash. Works pretty well for me. I have tried Xylimelts and Oragel. Found both at CVS pharmacy. Oragel actually worked the best for me but for some reason I went back to Biotene.

Medications can cause dry mouth and I think that some people are more susceptible to dry mouth than others.

Just my two bits.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Adding my two cents:

1) While dry mouth can be a symptom of mouth breathing (particularly if there are largish leaks), switching to a FFM may not do much to fix the dry mouth problem, even if it fixes the leak problem. The humidifier on a CPAP is not designed to keep both the nasal cavity and the oral cavity moisturized, and if you're doing a lot of mouth breathing inside a FFM, the humidifier may not be enough to keep things moist.

2) You can have dry mouth with little or no mouth breathing and little or no excess leakage. Air can get into the mouth (and cause dry mouth) from the back of your throat if your tongue in in the wrong place. If your lips stay shut, but your tongue drops off the roof of your mouth, air can enter from the throat and make your mouth dry. Of course, if you are not leaking that excess air through your lips, it can build up (chipmunk cheeks anybody?) and at a certain point you either swallow the air (which can trigger aerophagia) or you open your lips, perhaps very briefly, to let it out that way. In that case, it may not affect the leak line very much or only for a very little bit.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 223 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.