Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth in AM but it's taped shut
Dry mouth in AM but it's taped shut
I am trying to figure out why my mouth is so dry and throat as well. I know I am not breathing through it, it's taped shut. I also tried an experiment this morning and saw that after breathing through my nose in the mask (p10 pillow) that after about 5 minutes my throat was dry and a little hard to swallow so that is apparently what is going on all night. I have the ResMed S9 with humidifier and the tank is showing that it's using water, I have the heated hose as well. I am mystified. I have it set to the max of 86. Anyone possibly know what could be causing this? I noticed that I am still getting little "puff bubbles" coming from my mouth after exhale a few times in let's say, 5 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth in AM but it's taped shut
I don't think this is YOUR issue, but since it is something that needed a comment here goes:

Sometimes my mouth, despite a nasal pillow mask and STAYING closed, is dry on waking.

However it is a "different kind" of dry. While the mouth itself is dry, the saliva glands are not exhausted and able to quickly wet my tongue and mouth and keep the wet subsequently.

The type of dry mouth that used to be so unpleasant was when the mouth not only was dry but there are no fresh saliva to even wet the mouth effectively.

The way my mouth dries now (when it is dry), is merely because it has been completely shut and the saliva glands have not been operating -- this is largely due to no mechanical action of the jaw and no swallowing, but may also be an effect of sleep itselft (to reduce production.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I was thing possibly that one of the issues is that I have a fan blowing on me all night. I am always hot, even when the A/C is down in the low 70's. I saw a little hose cover called the snuggle and I decided to make one, so it's now covered in fleece, so the trip to the nose is warmer, I will see if that might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually make the bedroom about 68-69 with the air conditioner (or at least 65 on cold winter nights) and we use a fan as well.

I don't mind a dry mouth ONCE

Formerly when my mouth would need to stay open because my nose was stopped it meant my mouth dried out the moment I tried to wet it again.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Dry mouth can be caused or worsened by dehydration. Drink plenty of water during the day and cut down on caffeinated drinks
Also dry mouth can contribute to tooth deacy and gum disease

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Zonk, I think often your state of hydration has a lot to do with it. Also I've noticed that alcohol has a lot to do with dehydration. I've resorted to having my daily glass of red wine.....or two sometimes, to earlier in the evening. Then I make sure I have water the rest of the evening.

I keep a bottle of Propel on my night stand with one of those flexy straws. Since I use nasal pillows I can get a sip without stopping cpap. I often swish the Propel around and hold it in my mouth before swallowing so the tissue can absorb some moisture. I've learned not to guzzle down the whole bottle even though it's tempting, because soon you have to peeeeeeeeee.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a fine line between being adequately hydrated and spending most of the night running to the bathroom. I drink massive amounts of water, coffee and tea in the morning but limit myself to an early evening glass of wine (like drgrimes) and a couple of sips of water in the PM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2014, 10:06 AM)drgrimes Wrote: I agree with Zonk, I think often your state of hydration has a lot to do with it. Also I've noticed that alcohol has a lot to do with dehydration. I've resorted to having my daily glass of red wine.....or two sometimes, to earlier in the evening. Then I make sure I have water the rest of the evening.

I keep a bottle of Propel on my night stand with one of those flexy straws. Since I use nasal pillows I can get a sip without stopping cpap. I often swish the Propel around and hold it in my mouth before swallowing so the tissue can absorb some moisture. I've learned not to guzzle down the whole bottle even though it's tempting, because soon you have to peeeeeeeeee.

I agree with you about hydration. I have several chronic medical conditions, one of which is high blood pressure that requires diuretic medication, and this medicine can really make me feel dehydrated. Like the original poster I would experience very dry mouth and yet I knew my mouth was not open.

I've started limiting myself to non caffeine beverages after 3 p.m. in the afternoon and just a little water in the evening. I like the idea of using the flexible straw - thanks for posting that.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2014, 07:55 AM)Marnid2014 Wrote: I am trying to figure out why my mouth is so dry and throat as well. I know I am not breathing through it, it's taped shut.

Because we are asleep, we don't know what has gone on during the night, however my years of taping has shown me the tape can come away during the night and re-attach itself before morning, giving the impression it has been in place all night. This is because the exhausting air is wet with moisture from the throat and mouth and the tape becomes quite soggy, allowing it to loosen, letting air escape & drying out both throat & mouth. Eventually there's no more "wet" air so the tape dries & re-attaches. This has been my experience, anyway. The addition of a second piece of tape placed on the first, will help immensely. If you'd like a description of how to place this tape, I will be happy to post it. OkayHope this helps
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 366 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.