Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth settings
Dry mouth settings
Mouth breather. What number do I set the humidifier so as not to get dry mouth
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth settings
Have you tried the auto settings? And do you have the heated or non heated tubing?

(01-18-2016, 05:07 AM)Sharif Wrote: Mouth breather. What number do I set the humidifier so as not to get dry mouth

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2016, 05:07 AM)Sharif Wrote: Mouth breather. What number do I set the humidifier so as not to get dry mouth

You're humidifier won't do much, it's a chin strap that you need. I tried several chin straps, the like below is working fine for me. You have to change it every 4-6 months.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqkquyvxnXZfjfwB8iigK...K5Ntde3fYg]

Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Sharif,

Turning my humidifier all the way up seemed to help somewhat with my dry mouth. Of course, your milage will vary.

You also might want to google orajel for dry mouth. Many people with that problem have raved about it.

Best of luck.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
Thx thx thx thx
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2016, 03:08 PM)SilverSleeper Wrote:
You're humidifier won't do much, it's a chin strap that you need.
Well we are all different and enough humidity may do it for you. I find a chin strap helps much more myself, but it does add complications.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2016, 10:05 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(01-18-2016, 03:08 PM)SilverSleeper Wrote:
You're humidifier won't do much, it's a chin strap that you need.
Well we are all different and enough humidity may do it for you. I find a chin strap helps much more myself, but it does add complications.

What complications do you have? I know, it's no fun to wear but since I'm using my chin strap my AHI's went down from 7 to 2.5 at this moment. My dry mouth disappeared. I always had a dry mouth(long before CPAP use), probably because I always was breathing trough my mouth. When I started CPAP it went from normal dry to a very severe dry mouth.
A chin strap cured most of that. Don't need to drink a single time at night.
But yes, everyone is different. Try to find out what's working for you.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2016, 03:08 PM)SilverSleeper Wrote: You're humidifier won't do much, it's a chin strap that you need. I tried several chin straps, the like below is working fine for me. You have to change it every 4-6 months.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqkquyvxnXZfjfwB8iigK...K5Ntde3fYg]

Man, that just looks like it hurts Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 03:03 PM)SilverSleeper Wrote:
(01-18-2016, 10:05 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(01-18-2016, 03:08 PM)SilverSleeper Wrote: You're humidifier won't do much, it's a chin strap that you need.
What complications do you have?

Not medical ones, but an extra piece of equipment to deal with.

I start with the chin strap, then on goes the FFM equipment. Then the BOSE QC25 headphones to help with the noise from the O2 concentrator. Over that goes my headlamp with a red LED to keep my dark adaption when I wake up in the middle of the night. Then must remember to turn on the concentrator before lying down. Make sure the other end of the O2 hose is connected, then strap the mask down and start the machine and commence the sleep attainment process. Oh, and if I forget to set the thermostat in the room to 25 degrees C, I will wake up cold later (I sleep in a recliner with no covers). And the bedtime pills, and the bedtime insulin shot.

All small steps but if I forget one I suffer later. The added step of the chin strap is an addition to the many things I have to remember and get right.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try XyliMelts. My dentist suggested that I try them, and they work well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 353 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 308 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 794 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,163 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 491 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.