Dry mouth, swollen Parotid Gland, related to cpap?
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: Dry mouth, swollen Parotid Gland, related to cpap?
Not a doctor -- but, I suspect a stone in the saliva duct from that gland.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-31-2014 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Galactus Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Phillips Respironics System One PRS1 DS760P Auto BiPAP
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidifier + Climate Line
CPAP Pressure: E/I 13/20 PS 4/7 BiFlex 3
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Sleep can be a good thing.

Sex: Male

RE: Dry mouth, swollen Parotid Gland, related to cpap?
(01-31-2014 01:38 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  Try sleeping on your back again. I was not able to do that for as long as I can remember. When I had my sleep study, sleeping on my left side was "marginally" an issue. But the few minutes off and on during the night when I ended up on my back sent my osa's through the roof. Now, with the machine I am experiencing back-sleeping nirvana! My ahi is very low, typically showing 2 or 3 events per night. As enjoyable as I found the back sleeping to be, I found I began to miss sleeping on my left side. So I'm doing that carefully now. I don't want Mr. Bad Pain-in-ear to come back! I still believe the problem was I tried to keep from breathing through the mouth, but over compensated with a too tight chinstrap.

I am going to try some back sleeping tonight and see if it makes a difference. Yah Mr Bad Pain in the Ear is a royal pain in my a** lol. I am keeping my eye out for him!

(01-31-2014 01:39 PM)me50 Wrote:  I would be concerned that, after having a biopsy, being on antibiotics, having the symptoms you just had, that a doc's office would ask for you to wait for 2 weeks to be seen, especially with doing a biopsy where they are looking to rule out something, whether it be cancer or some other issue(s).

As far as dry mouth, try biotene toothpaste, mouthwash, mouth spray (it is not inexpensive) but it does work.

Mr dermatologist would see me in a heartbeat, they were the ones that did the biopsy, it is for a rare skin issue, and they are doing a study that they asked me to volunteer for. So the antibiotics really were just a precautionary measure. But to see an ENT they have a two week wait at the minimum, and to be honest as I said it did resolve so as of now no symptoms beyond the dry mouth, but as they said dry mouth could be the cause I am just looking to be rid of the dry mouth.

I have used Biotene in the past, and that is a very good suggestion, better than the tart candies, that stuff does work well. Thanks for reminding me, and suggesting that.

(01-31-2014 01:48 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Not a doctor -- but, I suspect a stone in the saliva duct from that gland.

Could very well have been, it did resolve in under 48 hours though so I am not sure. But it certainly could have been.

I am glad I signed up for this board, you guys (and girls) are very helpful.

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
01-31-2014 02:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mouth Splints and CPAP kingskid 3 36 Today 01:18 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking Visitor 44 3,733 12-06-2016 11:43 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Bite Guard for Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 11 518 11-29-2016 11:46 AM
Last Post: mcsheltie
  [CPAP] Mouth slips below mask Carbonate 5 316 11-28-2016 07:35 AM
Last Post: jimscott3
Angry [Treatment] Dry Mouth Question Turborob2005 5 328 11-15-2016 10:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth Breathing mcsheltie 31 1,076 11-15-2016 08:25 PM
Last Post: chill
Question Dry mouth djamiem 7 325 11-14-2016 08:58 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore