Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulmonary Hypertension
Pulmonary Hypertension
About 5 months ago as a result of a stress echo it was discovered that my pulmonary pressures were elevated(44) and that is technically considered Pulmonary Hypertension. I went thru all kind of tests which were all negative for any evidence of any other problems associated with this. Just prior to this diagnosis I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea which the cardiologist felt was the cause of the elevated pressures. Since that time I have been 100% compliant with my treatment (Dreamwear Nasal Mask) and my numbers lately have been consistently between 1.0 and maybe 2.25.

I have done alot of reading on this subject and it appears that the elevated pressures are caused by episodes of oxygen desaturation that have occurred with the untreated apnea ( by the way, I also have mild asthma)- I have checked my oxygen levels on more than a few occasions and have found it to be consistently above 93. I have found information on this subject that seems to suggest that successful treatment may help reduce the pressure or at least stabilize it at the levels that it was before treatment.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience or knowledge about this subject- it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulmonary Hypertension
I would agree with the cardiologist. In my own experience, I was showing Left Ventricular Diastolic Dysfuntion. That's where the left ventricle fails to create a suction when it relaxes. This would in-turn increase left side filling pressure; and possibly increase right side pressure in the pulmonary circuit. Since being on CPAP, I no longer see such findings. My studies have been Left Ventricular Diastolic Function: Normal.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply- were the initial findings before you began treatment and, if so, how long after did you receive the good news of normal? Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, before treatment. I'd have to look though my scanned in reports to see when my tests went back to normal status -- definitely after CPAP started; but, I do not recall how long after.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Haynbo,
It’s great to hear that you are doing so well with your CPAP therapy and that you’re tests for pulmonary hypertension are normal.
Keep up the good work and sleep well.
WELL DONE.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Haynbo.   I know this is an old post and it looks like you haven't been on here for awhile.    Maybe you'll get this anyway. 

Your pulmonary hypertension story sounds  very much like mine.  With me it was the PH dx that eventually led to the sleep apnea dx. 

My GP sent me for an echo for heart palps and they found mild PH.  Then I did an night oxygen test and it showed hypoxia so they started me on oxygen.     Well , you know googling PH is enough to give a  person a heart attack!   But the pulmonoloigist  said that's the one disease you don't want to google  on your own  without talking to your doctor.   :0

Like you, they had to get to the bottom of it since PH can have so many causes.   So I went to a cardiologist,  rheumatologist, and finally the pulmonologist.     The pulmonologist guessed I probably had SA, which proved true.     The cardiologist explained  in laymen's language that with hypoxia your body goes looking for oxygen and tries find it anywhere it can.  In this case it was the pulmonary arteries.   Thus the   PH.   

I just got my equipment this week so I don't know how things will go yet,  but we're hoping the PH  and other problems will be gone by the time  I do the next echo.   

Hope you're still doing well.  

Cheers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hoping for the best for you both Haynbo and Suzi! And Suzi welcome to the forum!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the reply- I have been on and monitoring but just have not been posting. Your reply however has brought up a question relative to Pulmonary Hypertension and it’s treatment-  I know that an AHI of under 5 is technically considered  “treated”, however, is an average AHI of, let’s say, .75 considered 5 times better than 4.50. The reason for the question is that for the past 3- 4 weeks, I have been using several different full face masks - none of which has worked as well as the nasal masks. The reason that I have been trying to get away from the nasal masks is that I am a mouth breather and must tape my mouth each night in order to get the much better result. For anyone that must do the same, it can become a real pain! Because of the PH, I have become neurotic about getting my AHI as low as possible. The much worse performance of the FFM has me quite upset. I guess my bottom line question would be, is my logic correct?-am I not being “treated” even though I am still under the 5 number that is used as a guideline?- is a lower number better than a higher number as long as it is below 5?

By the way, I have also had a significant increase in PB numbers while on the FFM- any correlation?

Thanks very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Haynbo, I think AHI is simply a metric that shows the relative efficacy of your treatment in preventing apnea and hypopnea. Your blood oxygenation is going to be the real target to improve PH, and many members use a recording oximeter to evaluate SpO2 and its relationship to AHI. All the AHI shows is that with less than 5-events per hour, you are considered treated for sleep apnea. There are many other factors that could affect your sleep quality and blood oxygen levels.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 667 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Length of Time ? [pulmonary hypertension decrease] Solar Rays 4 1,381 08-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  pulse ox with download capability; pulmonary hypertension TonyP 5 1,571 10-30-2017, 07:04 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Pressure] My mother suffered an pulmonary embolsim and now she say that the pressure is to much inoroz 6 1,595 06-19-2017, 09:57 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Apnea and Pulmonary Hypertension Haynbo 26 3,814 03-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Haynbo
Angry So I just had words with my DME @ Pacific pulmonary problems MzRobin28 4 1,394 03-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Last Post: MzRobin28
  Hypertension and CPAP SleepyBee 5 1,631 11-23-2016, 03:36 PM
Last Post: SleepyBee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.