Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry mouth,tube temperature settings
Dry mouth,tube temperature settings
I have been using my airsense 10 autoset with climate setting to auto and with a tube temperature to 84 degrees.  Recently I have been getting up in the middle of the night with my mouth very dry.  If I want to continue with climate setting on auto will raising or lowering the tube temperature help with the dyrness?
I know I could switch to manual mode but then I could be bothered with rainout.  Would switching the tube temperature to auto help?
Thanks for the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth,tube temperature settings
From my experience, I don't believe temperature will help with mouth dryness. I think you need to up the humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
So would the only way to increase the humidity is by using manual mode?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't remember how it works with the ResMed. But I'm guessing yes.

Why not try it and see?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2018, 05:56 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I don't remember how it works with the ResMed.  But I'm guessing yes.

Why not try it and see?

Automatic constant humidity delivery
For each temperature setting, the Climate Control system delivers a constant amount of water vapour, or absolute humidity, to the patient’s upper airway. The following table shows the target absolute humidity value that will be delivered to the mask for a selection of temperature settings.
Temperature delivered to the mask
Target absolute humidity at the mask,
Body Temperature Pressure Saturated (BTPS)
60ºF (16ºC) 10 mg/L
68ºF (20ºC) 12 mg/L
75ºF (24ºC) 16 mg/L
80ºF (27ºC) 19 mg/L
86ºF (30ºC) 22 mg/L

This is from the S9 manual I think it is the same for the 10 series
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks gwc2795 for your response.  
Post Reply Post Reply
I prefer to go the manual route because while I like a higher humidity level, I do not like to breathe hot air. But it's a personal thing. Find what you like the best.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you must switch to manual mode to accommodate dry mouth make sure you are using a hose cover to avoid rainout.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would submit that the humidity setting will do very little to help you with dry mouth. It is more likely that your mouth is opening up slightly. Are you using a chin strap to help keep your jaw closed? Or you could try using a soft cervical collar fitted loosely that you can pick up at Walmart or other discount store. if your mouth opens up slightly the treated pressure will stay the same since you are using a full face mask but your mouth will dry out in the process. if you tried to keep your mouth open for 7 hours straight without closing it and breath through your mouth only during the day, you will experience something similar. You want to try to keep your mouth closed as much as possible, even with a full face mask when using the machine.

Speaking for myself, even those options did not consistently prevent my mouth from drying out during treatment. I decided to start taping using medical grade paper tape over my lips. But that is a whole other process with it's own upsides and downsides. I have not had any mouth leaks or dry mouth ever since taping, though and it is my preferred method.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 44 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
Sad CSA, Body temperature and Spicy foods. Boodmaster 4 798 03-26-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 320 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.