Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dugy40 [Doug's Therapy Thread]
RE: Dugy40 [Doug's Therapy Thread]
(08-17-2020, 08:40 AM)OpalRose Wrote: OSCAR only reports what's written to the SD card by your machine.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachm...?aid=25713

As far as being real...  it occurred at aprox. 1:45, it could have been just you holding your breath.  It's hard to say.  Either way, great results.  

The spikes in your leak rate graph usually point to mask movement, probably not something you notice in your sleep.  Not really anything to worry over, as it's not affecting your therapy.

If you want to learn more about leaks, read this:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Head#Leaks

Your confusing me.  You said Oscar only reports what’s written to the sd card.  That is true.  But we’re talking bout 0.0 ahi on the machine.  That number is usually correct.   There’s a long thread about this subject here in this forum.  Some said to unplug machine for 30 min.   They acted like it was a computer glitch.   Others said it was fine.  But 0.0 is wrong so to me it’s not fine.   Should say 0.10 like it wrote to the sd card.  I’ve read prob 30 pages on leaks.  None answer my questions.   If my mask had zero unintentional leaks what would the graph read? What should the graph read with the intentional leak.  Aries by mask I am sure.   Does resmed calculate intentional leak and report zero.  Then if there’s a leak that would be above zero? Why is part of my graph not even showing zero.   I don’t mean when I got up to the bathroom.  Everyday the leak chart has parts below zero.  I would think there’d be a line at zero.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doug, I have seen similar reports where the machine was 0.0, but I still had an event on Oscar. It's not worth pursuing. Oscar only reports what is in the machine data on the SD card. No more or less, but there can still be minor discrepancies in the decimal rounding. Don't lose any sleep over it. If it helps, we don't actually know why this minor discrepancy exists, and we are not going to dig into it any further.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2020, 09:00 AM)Dugy40 Wrote: I’ve read prob 30 pages on leaks.  None answer my questions.   If my mask had zero unintentional leaks what would the graph read? What should the graph read with the intentional leak.  Aries by mask I am sure.   Does resmed calculate intentional leak and report zero.  Then if there’s a leak that would be above zero? Why is part of my graph not even showing zero.   I don’t mean when I got up to the bathroom.  Everyday the leak chart has parts below zero.  I would think there’d be a line at zero.

Your leak chart does not have any numbers below zero.  The leak data from the machine is never negative.  Zero values simply mean that the CPAP machine thinks that the leakage it observes is the amount expected by mask design.

ResMed machines report "unintentional" leak rate,  The CPAP machine calculates total leak rate, subtracts the standard "intentional" amount that comes from mask design, and reports the rest, which represents additional leaks from the mask or breathing.

PRS1 machines, on the other hand, report both total leakage and "intentional" leakage, so there are two lines on the chart.

What mask are you using?
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Doug, you've tried several different masks, so it's not possible for me to know the "intentional" leak rate for whatever mask you are using.  That is usually printed on the mask packaging.

Unintentional leaks are from mouth breathing and/or mask leaks.

From the link above that I asked you to read:  

Perfect Leak/Total Lines
A perfect Leak/Total Line is a leak line with little or no unintentional leaks.

For ResMed users, that's easy to recognize: The Leak graph is a flat line at 0.0 L/min for all or almost all of the night. And any leaks that are present are way, way below the ResMed Redline of 24 L/min.

For all the rest of us, perfect leak lines are not quite so easy to recognize. We can use SleepyHead's estimated Leak graph (rather than the Total Leak graph), but that may not always be accurate, particularly if we're using a bi-level or an auto machine with a wide range of pressures.

To identify a perfect leak line from Total Leaks requires a bit of knowledge: We need to know the expected (intentional) leak rate for the mask. Once we know that, a perfect Total Leak line would be a flat or "fuzzy flat" line that is within a few L/min of the expected leak rate for the mask at the given pressure.

The expected rate depends on both the mask and the pressure. The owner's manual for your mask should have a table and/or graph that tells you what your mask's expected (intentional) leak. The chart below shows the design flow rate at different pressures for a variety of masks and mask types:

Sorry if I'm confusing you, and not meant to offend you in any way, but you are obsessing over what is very good therapy results.  Many on this forum would love to see.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2020, 09:16 AM)GuyScharf Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 09:00 AM)Dugy40 Wrote: I’ve read prob 30 pages on leaks.  None answer my questions.   If my mask had zero unintentional leaks what would the graph read? What should the graph read with the intentional leak.  Aries by mask I am sure.   Does resmed calculate intentional leak and report zero.  Then if there’s a leak that would be above zero? Why is part of my graph not even showing zero.   I don’t mean when I got up to the bathroom.  Everyday the leak chart has parts below zero.  I would think there’d be a line at zero.

Your leak chart does not have any numbers below zero.  The leak data from the machine is never negative.  Zero values simply mean that the CPAP machine thinks that the leakage it observes is the amount expected by mask design.

ResMed machines report "unintentional" leak rate,  The CPAP machine calculates total leak rate, subtracts the standard "intentional" amount that comes from mask design, and reports the rest, which represents additional leaks from the mask or breathing.

PRS1 machines, on the other hand, report both total leakage and "intentional" leakage, so there are two lines on the chart.

What mask are you using?

Airfit n10 mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2020, 09:51 AM)Dugy40 Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 09:16 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: What mask are you using?

Airfit n10 mask.

So the constant leak amounts could be exhaling through the mouth.  Are you doing that?
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2020, 10:05 AM)GuyScharf Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 09:51 AM)Dugy40 Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 09:16 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: What mask are you using?

Airfit n10 mask.

So the constant leak amounts could be exhaling through the mouth.  Are you doing that?

No I don’t exhale through my mouth.   Flow chart would show that.  The chart does not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Then where is it leaking? Because it is leaking somewhere.
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2020, 09:17 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Doug, you've tried several different masks, so it's not possible for me to know the "intentional" leak rate for whatever mask you are using.  That is usually printed on the mask packaging.

Unintentional leaks are from mouth breathing and/or mask leaks.

From the link above that I asked you to read:  

Perfect Leak/Total Lines
A perfect Leak/Total Line is a leak line with little or no unintentional leaks.

For ResMed users, that's easy to recognize: The Leak graph is a flat line at 0.0 L/min for all or almost all of the night. And any leaks that are present are way, way below the ResMed Redline of 24 L/min.

For all the rest of us, perfect leak lines are not quite so easy to recognize. We can use SleepyHead's estimated Leak graph (rather than the Total Leak graph), but that may not always be accurate, particularly if we're using a bi-level or an auto machine with a wide range of pressures.

To identify a perfect leak line from Total Leaks requires a bit of knowledge: We need to know the expected (intentional) leak rate for the mask. Once we know that, a perfect Total Leak line would be a flat or "fuzzy flat" line that is within a few L/min of the expected leak rate for the mask at the given pressure.

The expected rate depends on both the mask and the pressure. The owner's manual for your mask should have a table and/or graph that tells you what your mask's expected (intentional) leak. The chart below shows the design flow rate at different pressures for a variety of masks and mask types:

Sorry if I'm confusing you, and not meant to offend you in any way, but you are obsessing over what is very good therapy results.  Many on this forum would love to see.
Sorry but I am irritated this morning. I am confused.  My mask has a chart but I can’t read it.  I feel the leaks are from the cotton liner I am using but my sore is healing.   That other guy kept going on and on bout the leak.   If it were a mouth leak wouldn’t everyone notice ? They have before.  Here’s my chart for my airfit n10 thank you for help and kind words. [attachment=25723]
Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion only but I think you may be suffering from data overload. I'd rely upon the data from OSCAR and forget the machine data. OSCAR has so much more detail to help with the therapy. If you show an OSCAR like a recent one that says AHI of 0.10 and the rest of the data seem within a good range and that you say you're well rested, then congratulations you've received good therapy via your ResMed. Great job at making your therapy worthwhile. Now go enjoy life and don't look at the charts unless you feel the therapy goes bad on you. If it trends good like we see now, there's really no reason to keep staring at the charts.

One final thought, perfect scores cost something and they are not required for good therapy to pay off. If you strive for perfect OSCAR charts, you probably will not feel any better for it than this 0.10 chart. And in all likelihood it will cost in lost comfort.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,059 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,198 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.