Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dugy40 [Doug's Therapy Thread]
RE: Hypopnea?
Leak rate and numbers are pretty good if all nights are like this I would not be worried how do you feel
Post Reply Post Reply
I would consider the leak rate pretty high with what's showing in the leak graph. And I would only work on leaks at this time. Setting edits are probably not worth attempting when leaks are an immediate need to be addressed. You may need some other added device to help with the leaks, as they may be high enough to throw off machine accuracy and efficiency. A chin strap, tape, or both may be needed to assist. And there is nothing wrong with a full face mask. At least with that, it's probably just the mask you'd need to put on.

Note that in my opinion, when you switch to a ResMed, these leaks will become very important to address, probably before anything else. A ResMed large leak redline is 24 L/min, and you're over that most of the night already. You can somewhat get away with it on the Respironics you're using now, but I think it will be a big issue shortly when you switch to the ResMed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
YEs, I used to get leaks like this in rem sleep when my chin loosens up and I was using a nasal mask.

Solution was a cervical collar that keeps my jaw bone up and closed and then I taped it. 

All leaks were eliminated. 
However
It is uncomfortable.
I never got used to it.
Even after 7 days of trying I just felt bad and my nose gets congested and I get sudden urge for air and my mouth are taped so I can not inhale and it gives me horrible feeling then.  

I just use a different mask  now. dreamwear facemask that covers mouth and nose only from the lower side and I still put on my cervical collar because my chin tucks in so it keeps it from tucking in.

I don't get leaks anymore. Sleep is great. 

Leaks are a major problem I think
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2020, 11:46 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Leak rate and numbers are pretty good if all nights are like this I would not be worried how do you feel

I feel pretty alert. Seems like I slept good.  I don’t have that wow factor that some speak of.   Still dozing off in the evening for a little while. Slight headache.  Thank you for asking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your input. It’s appreciated very much. Hopefully my ResMed will ship today. They said after the holiday. So We will see. Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2020, 11:57 AM)Dugy40 Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 11:46 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Leak rate and numbers are pretty good if all nights are like this I would not be worried how do you feel

I feel pretty alert. Seems like I slept good.  I don’t have that wow factor that some speak of.   Still dozing off in the evening for a little while. Slight headache.  Thank you for asking.

Remember that Respironics record intentional and unintentional leaks, and those numbers don't look too bad considering.
You should, however start to try and limit leaking as much as possible.

As far as staying at a pressure of 9cm, I don't remember who or why that was recommended, but could be tried if you want.

What I see is the pressure shot up to 12cm a couple times due to either flow limitations, reras and Hypopneas.
I wouldn't fuss too much right now, that is if you think you'll be getting the ResMed soon.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
God is good.
[attachment=24292][attachment=24291] 

We was just talking bout me maybe needing a full face since I am mouth breathing and a freind of mines texts me and says “do you need a full face mask? I got a new in box you can have” wow. Going to still try and nose breath but the full face will be backup.  I got a nice nose mask coming to.   It shipped today. I might just have to store it if this mask works out.   This one is a ResMed ultra Mirage. 
   Just wanted to share my excitement but also do any of you think a full face is bad.  I’ve read it’s best to breathe through our noses.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is best to breathe through your nose, but it's not wrong to use a Full Face mask if you naturally mouth breathe. I do this because my COPD is restricting. I open the mouth a bit to get more air.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2020, 12:31 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 11:57 AM)Dugy40 Wrote:

Remember that Respironics record intentional  and unintentional leaks, and those numbers don't look too bad considering.
You should, however start to try and limit leaking as much as possible.

As far as staying at a pressure of 9cm, I don't remember who or why that was recommended, but could be tried if you want.

What I see is the pressure shot up to 12cm a couple times due to either flow limitations, reras and Hypopneas.  
I wouldn't fuss too much right now, that is if you think you'll be getting the ResMed soon.

Yeah I could scroll up.  Someone recommended setting it at 9.  Hoping for the ResMed by Friday.   She said she’d mail after the holiday.  That’d be today.   Thank you for your input.  I appreciate all of you.  I was diagnosed in 1996 with sleep apnea.  I wore a cpap one night and never wore it again.  I am determined to hang in there this time.  With all of you helping me I can do it.  Thank you. Doug.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2020, 07:33 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: That looks like a mouth leak. Your events are down and pressure is pretty stable now.  You could probably set the minimum and maximum both at 9.0 and have good results.  As far as ugly breathing, we are not trying for that level of perfection, but if you want to post an example, we can let you know what it may be.  There may not be much we can do about it.

This is probably what you were thinking of.  We have often suggested fixed pressure to achieve less disruption from pressure changes. You get good therapy at 9.0, and it wouldn't hurt to try it.  I think the Resmed is going to be very good for you.  I think we set it in auto mode with a minimum pressure at 9.0 with EPR 3, and maximum pressure at 14, and I suspect that will work quite well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 838 3 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,084 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 176 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,364 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 968 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.