Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dummy Doc—ST versus ASV
RE: Dummy Doc—ST versus ASV
(05-25-2017, 10:04 AM)Phill Wrote:
(05-25-2017, 09:14 AM)rmclendon Wrote: Care ends when the office door closes behind me until I enter the office for my next appointment. No follow-up. No explanation of Sleep Study results, just an Rx for new machine.

My one told me to falsify my data so that I could reach the four hour sleep requirement for compliance!

And we are suppose to place our lives into the hands of these people. Dielaughing

I think a doctor trying to advocate for the patient is a pretty refreshing idea.  Whatever it takes, there is a bigger common enemy, insurance and the policies that stand in the way of direct care and recommending the right solutions without all the B.S.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2017, 12:40 PM)rmclendon Wrote: Not sure how you would falsify records with machines that automatically report to the cloud.

Should I wake up before I have completed my required 4 hours sleep, I was told I should just lie in bed awake until the compliance time was completed.
What I did after that, which is usually remove the mask and attempt to get a couple of hours decent sleep appeared to be of no interest to them.

As under our regime, the 4 hour thing is taken by the authorities to indicate you are receiving suitable treatment, and are therefore allowed to drive again, I would say that they are encouraging people to break the law, and are therefore leaving themselves open to litigation, equally, would I be liable were I to follow their instructions?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2017, 02:43 PM)chill Wrote: Just wear it at night while you are watching TV.  The machine does not know if you are sleeping, just that you have it on your face.

Good thinking chill, but it might be worth changing the time setting if possible. Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Pardon my ignorance on this one....differences between the Aircurve ST / VAuto / ASV / ST-A?

I agree, though....there is a reason some of us refer to these folks (Doc, RTs and DMEs) as the "medical mafia."
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
search for "resmed aircurve 10 review" then look for a review about ResMed's unveiling 

That is a nice summary of the differences.

Forum rules prohibit me from providing a direct link.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the salient part of the article Bonjour referred to:

AirCurve 10 S: A bilevel device ideal for patients who need extra pressure support or find it difficult to adjust to therapy on a fixed pressure continuous positive airway pressure device. It features two different adjustable pressures that can help make therapy feel more comfortable.

AirCurve 10 VAuto: An auto-adjusting bilevel device for patients who need greater pressure support to treat their obstructive sleep apnea. It uses the comfort of both the proven AutoSet algorithm and Easy-Breathe waveform in its VAuto algorithm.

AirCurve 10 ST: A bilevel device with backup rate that provides exceptional patient-ventilator synchrony, reducing the work of breathing so patients remain comfortable and well ventilated.

AirCurve 10 ASV: A bilevel device for central breathing disorders such as Cheyne-Stokes respiration, central sleep apnea, or obstructive events. The AirCurve 10 ASV targets the patient’s own recent minute ventilation. By treating central breathing disorders with auto-adjusting pressure support, and upper airway obstruction with auto-adjusting expiratory positive airway pressure, the device works to rapidly stabilize breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before DeepBreathing posted the above "explanation" written by ResMed of their machines I thought I knew the difference. Who knew? I am now trying to figure out if that was written by marketing or human resources. Whichever. I am sure it was then edited by legal, and simultaneous translation from the Australian into 'Merican Vulgate was waived.
Post Reply Post Reply
just thought I'd re-surface this thread to note - many times you'll see suggestions on this and other forums (and from doctors and DMEs) that you may want to run the machine while awake.  it is not always or even often that the suggestion is to falsify data.  two primary reasons are both to increase the patient's long term ability to comply.

one - while sitting and watching TV - to get acclimated to the pressures and reduce anxiety.
two - to stay connected while trying but not able to sleep - in hopes that enough 'only resting' will resulting in falling asleep.

a third one could be - to guarantee that the machine is not taken away before the patient can work out the bugs (the patient still wishes to keep trying).  this also increases the chances the treatment method is successful.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank. I am thankful that I have no problem with compliance. I am at 100%, but I have been at it for over 35 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are right, and just to be clear, I have NO beef with Resmed.
I did see a new doctor. He ordered another sleep study and them a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV. My first night on it my Resmed score was 100 with 0.1 AHI. Last night was night two with a score of 99 and AHI of 0.3

My previous statement about the doc seems to be vindicated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV versus VAuto (card-to-cloud) 00derek 4 766 07-22-2023, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
Question Dreamstation 2 and the 12 mm tubing versus 15 mm? OneSnorer 1 1,248 04-21-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  AHI versus "mean apnea–hypopnea duration" (MAD) Henrikc 1 527 03-13-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Leak rate of Aircurve 10 VAUTO versus Phillips Bipap Mersim85 4 1,051 11-29-2021, 10:49 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Difference between aircurve 10 asv versus aircurve 10 cs pacewave? AFAFAF 3 1,284 11-24-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: GrumpyHere
  What gives? Aircurve 10 ASV versus CS Pacewave coldfeet7 4 1,163 07-16-2021, 08:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.