Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Durability of Resmed P10 Mask/Pillows
Durability of Resmed P10 Mask/Pillows
It has been a while since I posted here, but I thought I might make this post to pass on my experience & possibly cause the eyebrows of the many US based members used to receiving regular replacement pillows & masks through the US insurance system to raise.

What I have to report may not be 'news' to many, but it sure shows (in my view at least) that the US insurance system is taking someone for a ride & presumably making money out of doing so, whilst ensuring insurance premiums are higher than they really need to be!

Like the majority of Australian CPAP users I have to pay for all my equipment, & have found it cheaper to buy over the net from the US than from Australian retailers.

I recall reading here that many US users get replacement nasal pillows every few weeks from their Insurance.

My purpose for posting my experience is to highlight (to anyone who cares) the wastage of resources involved in that practice.

I have been using a P10 since April last year, almost a full year of use. I have endeavoured  to wash the mask & pillows daily using a pleasantly fragranced dishwashing liquid, but for the last 7 months of this time have been travelling in our tiny off road camper trailer (wife & I are what are known as 'grey nomads' in Australia - retired & full time travellers). Sometimes windy & dusty desert conditions, & occasionally sheer laziness has seen the daily mask clean left for up to a few days at a time. (I can feel the cringing from here ... ha ha).

Today is the first time any part of the mask has been replaced ..... the head strap which had eventually stretched beyond the capability of the little plastic clips which get supplied with a new mask to take up the stretch. The main mask itself is still fine, as are the only set of pillows I have used with it. I have spares for all, but have felt no need to use them until changing the head strap today. The pillows are still soft & pliable & seal without problem. My AHI results have remained consistent throughout. No holes in the mask or tube.  All have been used every night with only 3 or 4 exceptions when I used the Respironics Nuance mask on cold nights. (I call the Nuance my 'cold weather mask' as I can use it in the conditions where breath condensation blocks the micro mesh of the P10).

I have to say that I am impressed with the durability of the mask & pillows, I had not expected them to last this long, especially given my occasional slackness in caring for them. No special storage. Every day they have just laid on top of the bed & have travelled in temperatures ranging from sub zero to over 40 degrees.C.

For what it's worth, my Devilbiss DV64 Intellipap machine, bought to use directly off 12v solar charged batteries when we are 'on the road' has been faultless. I would choose the same again.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Durability of Resmed P10 Mask/Pillows
I, too, am impressed by the durability of the P10s.

I do agree that the American healthcare system does not utilize resources wisely.

I have been paying attention to my usage of P10 pillows, since I've been paying out of pocket for my supplies for the last year due to insurance problems.

I noticed that at about a month in on the P10, the pillow flange farthest in my nostril flanges more than when new, thus hurting my nose. I also notice it doesn't seal as well, starting around then. It still seals ok, but not great. And around that time, the headgear became super stretched.

The clips are ok, but not foolproof - I've accidentally shot them off several times while putting on the headgear. But they do tend to work once the headgear is on.

So that's my take on it. I do prefer to replace the pillows monthly, as I do notice a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
A hot wash of the headgear will shrink it back for a time anyway
Post Reply Post Reply
I start noticing increased leaks after a months use of my pillows and need to replace them at around six weeks. The head gear will usually last me at least a year. My last frame lasted almost two years before the hose end pulled apart when I disconnected it one morning.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I replace my pillows between 4 and 6 weeks. They do get soft and floppy and fail to seal well.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree. I am experimenting with longevity. 
My tank is 2 years old and looks (and operates) like new. I use distilled water. 
All other parts are 6 months old with similar looks and operations. 
Filter is monthly even though I have read 2 monthly is sufficient. 

Cleaning is simply a good “rinse” in Dawn detergent weekly.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to purchase my own supplies until about 3 years ago, and I was able to get good life out of the P10 mask and pillows, often approaching a year. Since my supplies are provided at no cost now, I'm a bit spoiled and get a couple replacement cushions every month or two, and a headgear on 6-month interval. It works longer if you need it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I'll admit I do not own a P10, I thought I'd chime in anyway. I do have an F20 AirFit BTW. Except for the change to a Small cushion, it's the same mask from last August. I did try the memory foam AirTouch for 2 nights, but couldn't seal it as well. I have not yet begun to use one new part of the mask. Soon I will have quite the stack of mask parts, filters, heated hoses, and humidifier tubs.

As far as I recall, I get some mask and other parts every 3 months and various other parts every 6 months, I am thinking basically on a Medicare style replacement schedule.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem, Cuppa, is that Medicare ALLOWS replacements on a schedule. The DMEs PUSH their patients to the schedule in order to maximize dollars. Then they push this fake 'bacteria will get you if you don't replace', which is nonsense, but believed by a lot of folks. Also, as you said, if it isn't coming out of your pocket, just collect and/or replace.

You are very fortunate that you've gone about a year without having to replace anything on your P10 mask. My mask seems to gum up after 7 months. The pillows last at most, 6 weeks and that is after boiling 5 minutes. However, the problem may simply be because my head is a bit big for the mask straps and my nose seems to be between sizes. Pillows would probably last longer if I went for the larger size, but they were uncomfortable because of the tightness of the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using my pillows since mid May last year, thats about about nearly 10 months. Once I kept the 'small' in soap liquid too long and they have since felt too soft. So now actually only using medium and SM. Whilst not ideal as 'small', they have done me well and it will probably be a year before I finally get fresh replacements.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Do dedicated CPAP pillows actually help? Old Moondog 3 64 33 minutes ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Resmed F30i Mask ditron1 3 134 04-23-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: cps22
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 11 17,302 04-20-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: cps22
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,214 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 507 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 464 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 430 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.