Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dusty Smell and headaches
Dusty Smell and headaches
Hello There
New to the board. New to the CPAP world. 6 days in and I have slept better than any time I can remember in the last two years.
However,
1) When I take my mask off I have an overwhelming smell of dust in the air… Is this common among the faithful???
2) Since I have been using my machine I have daily headaches that usually come on in the later afternoon usually after 3pm or so… Again, is this common???

I have never had headaches before using the machine and never has the room smelled of dust before. The dusty smell was so strong the first night of use I thought my machine was burning wires or the like… However, nothing was hot or altered and my wife can smell no such thing...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dusty Smell and headaches
1 = No. Is the filter new?
2 = Uncommon.

5 cm-H2O really? Who set that low pressure for you?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2016, 07:49 PM)KG101 Wrote: Hello There
New to the board. New to the CPAP world. 6 days in and I have slept better than any time I can remember in the last two years.
However,
1) When I take my mask off I have an overwhelming smell of dust in the air… Is this common among the faithful???
2) Since I have been using my machine I have daily headaches that usually come on in the later afternoon usually after 3pm or so… Again, is this common???

I have never had headaches before using the machine and never has the room smelled of dust before. The dusty smell was so strong the first night of use I thought my machine was burning wires or the like… However, nothing was hot or altered and my wife can smell no such thing...

Welcome to the forum KG101,

I found an older thread where others have had a burning smell.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ght=Smells

Many of us experienced headaches before Cpap therapy, but once therapy started, the headaches usually go away. It could be your pressure setting is not optimal for you.

Download the Sleepyhead Software. This will enable you to keep track of your therapy.
http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Filters are new… Everything is new… The dusty smell occurs after the mask comes off… Lasts about 20-30 minutes… My wifes theory on this is that I am breathing filtered air and then smell the unfiltered and it smells stronger to me… Kind of like filtered and tap water (yuck).

The Doctor set it at 5 cm… Dropped my AHI index from 44 to .7 on a good night 2.7 on a bad night… Of coarse the sample size is still quite small (6 nights). Haven't checked my oxygenation levels yet… Going to wait a week or two.

Headaches were never an issue before I used the machine… I have had them daily since… But I have had a bit of a stress to deal with this week… maybe they are coincidental…. Just not sure yet. (However, I am not prone to stress headaches either…)
Post Reply Post Reply
Ps. Thanks for the welcome Opal Rose… I read through the thread… This isn't a burning smell at all and it's not in the tube either… More like grandma's attic after you shake the old blanket covering that old chest…

Looking forward to exploring the Sleepy Head software but haven't had time as yet… It is in the file for sure… Trying to get the therapist at the supply center to look into it as well.

Thanks again

K
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KG101,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you much success with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2016, 11:20 PM)KG101 Wrote: Ps. Thanks for the welcome Opal Rose… I read through the thread… This isn't a burning smell at all and it's not in the tube either… More like grandma's attic after you shake the old blanket covering that old chest…

Looking forward to exploring the Sleepy Head software but haven't had time as yet… It is in the file for sure… Trying to get the therapist at the supply center to look into it as well.

Thanks again

K

hmm...you wife may be right. You could try a room air cleaner and run it for a couple hours. Dont-know

Just thought I would add this: when I first started Cpap therapy, I would smell flowers after removing my mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect that your wife is onto something, especially if you are using extra fine filter in addition to the regular pollen filter.
Also, the perceived difference in air quality could be amplified if you using humidifier on the machine but humidity in the house is low.

As for the afternoon headaches, way out of the left field a thought came to me; maybe your body was accustomed to lower oxygen levels and you stopped paying attention to it. Now, you feel so much better in the morning that you get headaches when the effect of much better oxygen saturation through the night wears off by the afternoon...
Post Reply Post Reply
I would explore the possibility that you are having sinus headaches that are being triggered by the PAP therapy. As for any relief, I suggest trying different levels of humidity (likely higher is better) or perhaps a nasal rinse each morning after taking the mask off. If all else fails, see a doctor for an exam.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
You're using a PRS1 Auto CPAP which is fully data capable, and also able to do auto titration. At a pressure of 5.0 cm, you are at the extreme low end of therapeutic pressure. It seems to be working for you, but I'd sure be tempted to put it in auto mode with a limit of 5-10 and see what it does.

Anyway, get Sleepyhead on the job, and you may see more. That machine records RERA and flow limitation that you won't see on the screen.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 263 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,932 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
Sad cause severe brain fog and unbearable headaches use cpap jiyun 1 110 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 19 941 04-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  1 Year of Therapy Still Dealing With Fatigue and Headaches Zzera 7 269 03-31-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,924 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,450 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.