Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dusty Smell and headaches
RE: Dusty Smell and headaches
(01-15-2016, 08:34 AM)OpalRose Wrote: when I first started Cpap therapy, I would smell flowers after removing my mask.

When I first take it off, I smell the cleaner tablet thingy in the toilet in our bathroom.

I also think that it's caused by breathing lots of filtered air and then suddenly not - which makes ambient smells much more noticeable at first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Surfer Dude and sleep rider…

Dude the headache is more over my right ear and behind same area… I am going to guess that it is related to other things in my life right now… Chatting on the forum has sort of got me thinking in a new direction on that one… My sinuses are feeling pretty great on a 1 and 2 setting with no preheat. The preheat made me feel a bit too tropical for my Northern California bedroom… We already have 26- 30 inches of rain this year…very moist.

Sleeprider I asked for the respironics unit for that reason (thanks to this board). Soooo… as soon as the time is available I will immerse myself in the how to's of sleepyhead and becoming more informed… For now I am following orders from the doc and providers to get my machine from the insurance co… As well as being grateful to know it works as is and can only get better.

Opal Rose… Been doing a little reading on other threads about smells and it appears we are not alone with the extra or enhanced smells after mask removal… Several folks have notice being able to smell thing that the had not been able to smell prior to therapy and one smells things (manure) mid day ^_^ . I'll stick with the dusty smell or flowers for now thank you ^_^.

Thanks to all...
Post Reply Post Reply
When you are in a totally dark room for awhile, and then someone turns on the lights, they dazzle you and seem very bright until your eyes adapt. Similarly if you are in total silence for awhile and then turn the stereo on at normal volume it seems much louder until your ears adapt. I imagine the same thing is true of our sense of smell. After breathing clean air for awhile, say by using a HEPA filter on your *PAP all night, it makes sense that smells you ordinarily never notice become suddenly evident.

Similarly those who quit smoking for awhile become aware of how bad smokers smell.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
you may find this older thread of interest...
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ning-smell

If you are getting headaches, I would increase humidity and if that doesn't work, I would decrease it instead - humidity is such a weird thing. I use a saline+xylitol spray every evening about 30 min before going to bed to help keep sinuses clear. I bought Xlear brand first to get the fancy sprayer, and then began making my own.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi -interesting thread. I also have that 'dusty' smell thing going on and have since starting pap therapy almost a year ago. That said, I smell everything more intensely than I used to and the dusty smell is probably related to the forced air heating system in my house. It diminishes when heating season slows down. Having house ducts cleaned and changing filters more often helps somewhat.

Regarding headache - My bet is nighttime teeth clenching and you might consider a dental guard to help with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting. I have noticed each morning the 'sweet' sort of smell. I can't exactly describe what it smells like, but 'sweet' is a good general term.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2016, 06:43 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Interesting. I have noticed each morning the 'sweet' sort of smell. I can't exactly describe what it smells like, but 'sweet' is a good general term.

my theory on the sweet smell, is that it is from your sinuses... a sneeze sometimes has a strong "sweet" smell also.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,719 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,207 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 16 726 02-14-2024, 08:09 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,393 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 906 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.