Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mini generators
Mini generators
I go camping ALOT... Back country is gonna be kinda out, since I'm not going to be able to schlepp any kind of equipment (I don't even take a change of clothes  Big Grin )

However, if I could take a 5 day car camping trip, that would be groovy (for now).

They make portable generators of the plug-and-play variety. Just plug your equipment in as though you're at home.

Can you use those for xpap? How powerful does it need to be? How do you tell if it's good quality? What kind of price would I need to pay?

One way to recharge would be to spend a night at a campground with electric in the camp spot. Will one of these generators recharge in, say, 14 hours?

A second way, I'm assuming, would be to recharge it while driving. Can this be done in, say, 6 hours of driving?

Another way to recharge would be to use a solar panel. Is this practical? How much of a solar panel do you need?

Thanks!

PS. I gather that brand names and sources for this type of item are not permissible per this board?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mini generators
I just reviewed a product that depending on your need may work, so much depends on your load.

Battery/Converter

Note: AC usage is less efficient.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't say much about your equipment or settings or much anything else that would let us be more helpful.

You say "generator" but I dont' think you are talking about a generator.  there are folks selling battery packs (that are by no means generators) and calling them "generators".  To me that is a very deceptive trade practice.  Kind of like selling somebody a 10 speed bike and calling it a pickup truck.  But I digress.

Most CPAPS run off of DC power.  Not AC power.  If yours has a power brick, that's taking the AC wall outlet power and converting it to DC - probably 12 or 24 V DC.  The batteries in most of these "generators" are simply large 12 V deep cycle batteries.  We've had this discussion several times and running off of DC directly is a LOT more efficient than say plugging an inverter into a battery source and then plugging a CPAP into the inverter. 

Resmed even has a battery guide describing the "how tos" of running off of battery and even how big a battery you will need (though I have found their stated consumption figures are a little (or a lot) over estimated.  I am going through all of the different CPAPs I can lay hands on right now and measuring their actual current draw.)  in most cases, I should be able to get a full week or more off of an SLA/AGM 12 V 35 AH battery (small enough to carry for car camping) and weighing only 25 pounds so it is reasonably portable/handy.

This soultion is usually less costly than dedicated "generator" pieces.

Search the forum for "battery" and/or "camping" - lots of previous discussion.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks y'all for being helpful!

Yes, the term "generator" is a marketing term....

I'll research some of the other threads.

I don't have CPAP equipment yet, but I'm likely to go camping the week I get it, whenever that is....Gotta be prepared.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 138 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 755 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Humidification Issue With Air Mini ICS55 15 5,447 02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pwnorris
Question BMC Mini M1 - Pressure Settings? SwissTruffle 0 364 12-25-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: SwissTruffle
  New to Air Mini-I need advice! tj1616 0 403 10-18-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: tj1616
  Resmed Air Mini and Freedom Battery Compatability Kags1969 1 710 08-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Idea Convert Airsense 11 into Air mini or vice versa? mltam 1 638 05-20-2023, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.