Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EEG and other ways to detect arousals?
RE: EEG and other ways to detect arousals?
(08-05-2020, 04:46 PM)Dormeo Wrote: What you describe are some lines of approach that you might use once you've established that you experience many arousals.   

That's true, but might be an approach that I might take even if I had anything above a small amount of arousals. Arousals are devastating, each time there is an arousal, it rips you out of the deep sleep and it takes awhile to get reestablished. At one time, the claim was that a break from deep sleep would require 2 hours to get back to a deep level of sleep-I'm not sure if that's true today, my info might be dated.

I will look into the flow rate plot, though I'm not sure the respiration changes that significantly during an arousal. And, in the presence of other respiration variances, these respiratory indicators of arousals might be stealthy. I will look for them though! TY for the info very much.

===========

I also spent the last couple of hours researching the Dreem 2, it defiantly has merit. Many users here spend ~$100 to get a marginal quality oximeter that has to be interfaced with OSCAR to work. The dream includes it already, and also gives positional data albiet not high accuracy though. It's not clear that it gives pulse rate though, there are no arteries or capillaries in the forehead-it's all low flow interstitial blood. And, I ABSOLUTELY do not believe that a single point EEG can predict MOVEMENT with any degree of assurance.

If the sensor and processing/conditioning electronics are correct (galvanic isolation with balanced feedline to preserve the small signal from the sensor), its price is only slightly higher than it should be. I have not checked into the price of consumables yet. I have also not determined if there are additional hidden fees.

Enjoy.

AB
Post Reply Post Reply
If you get a Dreem, I'd be very interested to read your thoughts about it. Member slowriter has written about the Dreem here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...2-Headband

I'm so tempted to get one, just to understand how my sleep architecture is holding up.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are no consumable or any other charges, aside from the one-time headband charge.

It doesn't use the EEG for positional data; it uses an accelerometer.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting discussion. I've recently purchased an old Zeo Bedside unit to better understand my sleep. These are pretty cheap if you can find one (the company went out of business ~7 years ago) and you can get an EEG trace out of the serial port. I'm using offset ECG pads rather than the dry contact headband (which was pretty much dead in the one I got and my attempts to craft one weren't ideal).

The sleep phase detection isn't perfect (it seems to think I'm in N2 when I first put it on), but it's a start. Here's where I'm up to with looking at an episode of plms:

(Inclination is leg movement from an accelerometer on my ankle, spectrogram is from zeo data collected with ZeoScope, extracted to raw, converted to edf with EDFbrowser then viewed with visbrain Sleep module).
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:The Dreem, BTW, generally only scores arousals that last more than two minutes, but it will also indicate those that are less (though I don't believe it can do less than a minute).

The consumer version, yes, but the research version gives you access to the raw EEG data. This means you can detect EEG arousals that last just a couple of seconds (I emailed them about this a while ago to confirm).

As for sleepwalking, I suggest you read this and this
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I found the possible arousal in the screen capture you posted. But I'd describe it as happening during a period of time when the breaths move further apart, and after that there is a period of smaller breaths, then a relatively abrupt change to more typical spacing and normalizing of spacing and amplitude to end it. And, I'm not sure I could do it again, maybe I'll catch on, but this attempt took me a long time and I had to use some computer assistance (moveable guidelines in a drawing program).

I boxed in the area I think you are referring to, did I get right?

AB

Attached Files
.pdf   arousal found?.pdf (Size: 17.49 KB / Downloads: 14)
Post Reply Post Reply
kappa, I've thought it would be kind of fun & certainly interesting to try to measure/display my periodic limb movements, but it's so clear in your flow rate (& mine) I wonder if it's necessary. is there more to be gained than demonstrating that movement occurs?
Post Reply Post Reply
Kappa,

There is an option to import the ZEO data into Oscar I am not sure it still works as I am not sure how much test data we still have but after importing the APAP Data from the daily screen click Data => Import Zeo
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you clarify which post you're responding to here?  Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dormeo, I don't think you are asking me, but just in case, I asked about post #14.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 352 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 703 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 676 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  [CPAP] Are these flow patterns arousals? or just normal breathing? holycarrots 6 1,323 06-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: holycarrots
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,093 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513
Sad [CPAP] Need Help. What is causing these clear airway events and arousals? Norman2195 5 833 04-30-2023, 08:08 PM
Last Post: esleepie
  Mouth Breathing and Spontaneous Arousals Old Mike 24 1,683 04-22-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Old Mike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.