Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EERS Experiment Data (sherwoga)
RE: EERS Experiment Data (sherwoga)
(12-05-2019, 09:43 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Yes, flow limitations are bad.

I've overlaid Flow Rate pop outs from the six runs completed so far.  Note that I did take time to set the y-axis scale to -175 to 175 for each graph so that a visual examination might be more meaningful.  I've labelled each as to whether an EESR was used.  My assessment is that flow limits are consistently, if only qualitatively, worse when the EERS is used.  Do you think this approach has any merit?

The median flow rates are 0 for all six runs  Dont-know . The 95% and maximum flow rates might contain more information, but if so, it will take a lot more runs to be able to see that information above the statistical noise, which is to say the numbers are very close to one another.  

Post Reply Post Reply
What happens with your max FL numbers?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2019, 10:43 AM)sherwoga Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 09:43 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: Yes, flow limitations are bad.

I've overlaid Flow Rate pop outs from the six runs completed so far.  Note that I did take time to set the y-axis scale to -175 to 175 for each graph so that a visual examination might be more meaningful.  I've labelled each as to whether an EESR was used.  My assessment is that flow limits are consistently, if only qualitatively, worse when the EERS is used.  Do you think this approach has any merit?

The median flow rates are 0 for all six runs  Dont-know . The 95% and maximum flow rates might contain more information, but if so, it will take a lot more runs to be able to see that information above the statistical noise, which is to say the numbers are very close to one another.  
This was supposed to be a response to SLOWRITER.  He asked about FL numbers.

Here is a quick table of the Flow Limits extracted from the data using the Export Data, CVS  Export Wizard function of Oscar software and then copied into Excel.  Replicate runs are paired by color coding.  

I see some good agreement developing, but it is not perfect and the numbers are pretty close.  May be too noisy to get a meaningful signal from the designed experiment.  Have to wait and see.

Post Reply Post Reply
My assumption is that EERS would have no impact on FL, but the pressure settings would.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see no significant difference between EERS and no EERS for flow limitation based off flow rate charts.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2019, 11:28 AM)slowriter Wrote: My assumption is that EERS would have no impact on FL, but the pressure settings would.
If so, both effects would theoretically show up in the analysis of the experimental data, but only if the effects are large enough.  If my concern about statistics ends up being overblown (i.e., the signal is large enough to be above the noise), the experiment should prove or disprove your assumption.  

If it does the quantitative approach (numerical analysis) would be far better than the qualitative comparison I made in my posted overlay of Flow Rates.  And that would strengthen the experiment conclusions markedly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2019, 11:32 AM)JoeyWallaby Wrote: I see no significant difference between EERS and no EERS for flow limitation based off flow rate charts.

I appreciate that input and it is what I was looking for.  But is that possibly because you are prone to zoom in on the flow rate patterns (a very useful and enlightening approach).  

What I am seeing is more difficult to articulate, but I'll try.  I see greater swings between minima and maxima producing a thicker blackened area along the horizontal middle of the chart, (all charts on the same y-axis).  Slowriter has characterized flow limits as have a brush like appearance.  I guess I'm building on my understanding of what he means by that, which is a bit foggy in of itself.  

I do not contest that flow rate patterns must be considered, but are we limited to considering them alone?
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a small difference, I doubt it has any significance. It's probably due to EERS increasing respiratory drive, which when combined with significant flow limitations, means your body is trying even harder to breathe but the resistance makes that difficult.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
EERS Experiment Data - Seq #7 Design #4
12/05/2019 EPR(Min Pressure),EERS pair = 0(5),0

Note: This Run is the third and final run to be done at these settings.  It replicates those runs done on Nov 30 and Dec 2. 

Post Reply Post Reply
EERS Experiment Data - Seq #8 Design #2
12/06/2019 EPR(Min Pressure),EERS pair = 3(8),0

Note:  I may repeat this run at the end of the 12 runs in the design.  There are large CA event clusters at both the beginning and the end of the night that correspond to time periods when I was fully awake.  On the other hand, this is a replicate of Run #1 when Bonjour recommended discounting similar clusters of events.  Further, this set of designed experiment conditions comes the closest to those I had been using for more than a year prior to my discovery of the Apnea Board and of Oscar software.  Throughout the previous year it was not uncommon to see AHI values between 10 and 20, but without Oscar, I was seeing only the AHI value as an indication of sleep quality.  So I'm not real sure what should be done here, follow Bonjour's recommendation, repeat this set as a 13th run (rejecting this one), or let the data stand as it is.  Decision can wait, but thoughts/input appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EERS using Resmed AirFit P30i Mask GrantT 6 1,156 10-11-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  ASV, N20, EERS?, How I quit mouth tape. Rich66 0 477 10-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,652 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  Can I test myself for sleep apnea? I want to experiment with different approaches HoloPed 4 710 10-11-2022, 04:10 PM
Last Post: taylorgtr
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Risks using EERS? SenatorBirch 13 1,170 09-14-2022, 05:15 PM
Last Post: SenatorBirch
  Fragmented Sleep, FLs, Suspected UARS, REM Related. 5 Months of Optimization + EERS. pineh 10 2,528 08-09-2022, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Silvia10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.