Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EMA Elastic Mandibular Appliance
EMA Elastic Mandibular Appliance
I'm a father of 3 very active sons. I've been using a CPAP for about 12 years. As you all know, the CPAP is a must but it is also something a chain. I cannot go on wilderness hunting or camping trips with my sons, which I very much want to do, unless I lug a generator or battery along. When you hoof it in carrying it all on your back... generators and batteries are a no go.

Yesterday I saw an advertisement for an Elastic Mandibular Appliance, EMA. I would love to be able to "unhook" myself even if for only a few days. Have any of you used one of these? Successfully?

This is the particular device I saw

Thanks
Christian
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EMA Elastic Mandibular Appliance
Hmmm... depends a lot on your OSA and how severe it is. For many, that type of device doesn't really help with CPAP being the only working solution.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi headofrock,
If your OSA is moderate to severe, you will need the CPAP machine.
The mouth guards alone won't help.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
They're making batteries smaller and smaller. And making solar charging panels fairly small, too.

Then there's the ultra small but expensive CPAP machines like the Transcend and the HDM Z1. Either one of those, alone with a small solar charger, should do the trick.

Also saw a small stove somewhere that as you heat it, it produces electricity to charge a cell phone. So poke around in the camping enthusiasts websites or go into a store and talk to them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2015, 11:29 AM)headofrock Wrote: Yesterday I saw an advertisement for an Elastic Mandibular Appliance, EMA. I would love to be able to "unhook" myself even if for only a few days. Have any of you used one of these? Successfully?
Thanks
Christian
Hi Christian,
I guess the answer really depends on the type of apneas you are experiencing. The overarching name for all this is SDB (sleep disordered breathing) & as any member of this board will tell you, SDB is the result of many different pathologies. These range from Central (open airway events) to Obstructive events (complete airway obstruction) & all events in between. These will vary in frequency and duration, so to be of any real help to you we would need to see & analyze your sleep data. However, to cut to the chase, if your airway is being obstructed by the back of your tongue closing off your throat & this is the cause of your apneas, then it's certainly possible a MAD will be of benefit to you, & well worth a trial. Best wishes
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a 2011 study (wish I could find an updated one) that showed that an adjustable appliance generally had these success rates in getting the AHI below 5.

Mild - 75%, Moderate - 60%, Severe - 40%

The success rates weren't as great for fixed appliances which is what the EMA appears to be.

If you are serious about pursuing this option, I would ask the dentist if he/she has any updated studies on what the success rates are in getting the AHI below 5 for the appliance he/she would recommend.

Good luck with your decision.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
Question CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance? GrantT 4 471 11-16-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 308 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP + Oral Appliance = Leaks DoktorSpengler 0 322 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DoktorSpengler
  Oral Dental Appliance RandomPilar 47 11,755 06-21-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: ZacMirror
  [Equipment] oral appliance instead of CPAP? singergal67 9 1,034 06-02-2023, 03:54 PM
Last Post: singergal67
  [Treatment] Pulmonologist --Not use CPAP, Use mandibular. How to later cross check? HenryECole81 0 349 03-03-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: HenryECole81

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.