Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One month in and could use help
One month in and could use help
Hi all,

I've had intermittent maintenance insomnia (1/2 times per month) for the 5 years but over the last 12 months my sleep has gotten progressively including a couple days where I'd slept 8 hours but woke up feeling like I'd been absolutely hit by a bus.  On multiple occasions coworkers have remarked that I looked tired despite sleeping 7-8 hours every night.

So in January I took a WatchPAT One home sleep test and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea (AHI 5.4 / RDI 12.3 with 13/23 during REM) and was prescribed a CPAP by my pulmonologist with settings of APAP 6/12.  I purchased an AirSense 10 SD Card machine in February out of pocket and have been using it intermittently over the last month and have found it very challenging to adjust to.

With the default APAP settings, I'd wake up any time the machine adjusted the pressure so I've been working on manually adjusting the pressure.  I started with it on CPAP 7.0 EPR off and have been moving up a few points every few days with the goal of reducing OSAs --> Hypopneas --> Flow Limitations.  Right now I'm at 8.6 and have reduced my AHI/RDI to single digits (as calculated by ResMed/Oscar) but still see many flow limited breathes and what look to me like RERAs.  When using it now, I wake up feeling worse than without it.  I've tried as high as 9.0 but wake up a few hours later with terrible heartburn (presumably aerophagia).

I can't post more than three attachments right now but can... Advice would be great.

A little about me:
31M
5'10" 180lbs (26BMI)
Relatively fit

Sleep setup:
ResMed Airsense 10
ResMed AirFit P30i
Mouth tape (fixed large leaks)
Bruxism mouthguard
Eyemask
Breathe right nasal strips
Airpods on noise cancellation and boring podcasts to help me fall asleep

Medication:
Flonase
Claritin D
Magnesium supplements
0.5mg melatonin 
Afrin occasionally if congested

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: One month in and could use help
Hi RTC7532! - Welcome
Try these settings and see if you start to feel better. Set your min and max to 11, EPR to 2 - Full-Time, and your choice either set the Ramp to off or to 10/auto.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 923 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 116 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 902 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 594 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
Smile Three month overview outasleep 5 531 11-27-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: outasleep
  OSCAR review, 6 month user fcpappy 14 993 10-13-2023, 01:33 AM
Last Post: fcpappy
  New user one month in ab4444 25 2,047 09-27-2023, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.