Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EMF and CPAP
RE: EMF and CPAP
(10-09-2018, 02:15 PM)silentsnore Wrote: Just curious, did anyone actually measured what kind of RF/EMF is radiated from heated hose? Measured amplitude? Spectrum?

I only got simple values. Here's some readings I got from my EMF meter (LIUMY LM7001). Caveat: the words "harmful" and "safe" are based on internal setup made by the manufacturer, not W.H.O. standards.

The readings, although may not be that accurate, were still a presumptive indication of EMF presence. The electric field readings at the end of the tube was practically the same as that given off by an electrical outlet at home (230V AC, single phase, 60Hz.)

Personally, I'm not worried about it. But I understand the prudence of just using non-heated tube, as suggested.

Machine powered but on standby:
[Image: 47560916212_194803b45a_z.jpg]

End of Climateline Air Heated Tube (recognized as such by the A10, which was still on standby):
[Image: 46698309565_a3f35335aa_b.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your post.

Since getting a CPAP, I have been having abnormal (excess) electrical activity in my brain that has caused mini-seizures where I wake up in the morning with brain fog and memory loss.  I can be very confused.  My worry is that the EMF's off the CPAP and hose have been wreaking havoc on my brain's electrical circuit.

If anyone has any insight, I would love to hear it.

Dnabs
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2019, 09:22 PM)Dnabs Wrote: Thank you so much for your post.

Since getting a CPAP, I have been having abnormal (excess) electrical activity in my brain that has caused mini-seizures where I wake up in the morning with brain fog and memory loss.  I can be very confused.  My worry is that the EMF's off the CPAP and hose have been wreaking havoc on my brain's electrical circuit.

If anyone has any insight, I would love to hear it.

Dnabs

Your situation is probably best described by the latin phrase post hoc ergo propter hoc.

It seems more likely that your brain fog is caused by something else about the CPAP machine.  For example, I have found (reliably) that I sleep better when I used CPAP machines that do not deliver FOT pulses. I suspect it is much more likely that it is something other than EMF that is causing your symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2019, 09:53 PM)Reznik Wrote: Your situation is probably best described by the latin phrase post hoc ergo propter hoc.

It seems more likely that your brain fog is caused by something else about the CPAP machine.  For example, I have found (reliably) that I sleep better when I used CPAP machines that do not deliver FOT pulses. I suspect it is much more likely that it is something other than EMF that is causing your symptoms.

What are FOT pulses? My husband has the came issue: brain fog and memory worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2020, 10:02 PM)healingcoach Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 09:53 PM)Reznik Wrote: Your situation is probably best described by the latin phrase post hoc ergo propter hoc.

What are FOT pulses? My husband has the came issue: brain fog and memory worse.

See this link:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ng-Me-Nuts
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2020, 10:02 PM)healingcoach Wrote: What are FOT pulses? My husband has the came issue: brain fog and memory worse.

The machine creates and uses these in an attempt to distinguish between obstructive and central apneas. The cause of the former is in the throat, whereas for the latter it's the brain chemistry.

It's far more likely that something can be adjusted to treat the brain fog, such as the pressure or maybe even the type of machine..

If someone were to insist on a test of the FOT pulses they could just put the machine fixed pressure. FOT won't be created or used.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2020, 12:27 AM)Sleepster Wrote: If someone were to insist on a test of the FOT pulses they could just put the machine fixed pressure. FOT won't be created or used.

Your statement reflects a common misconception, but you are completely wrong.  ResMed machines that send FOT pulses do so in every mode, including the fixed pressure modes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2020, 12:39 AM)Reznik Wrote: ResMed machines that send FOT pulses do so in every mode, including the fixed pressure modes.

Wow, I didn't know that. What a waste!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2020, 12:46 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 12:39 AM)Reznik Wrote: ResMed machines that send FOT pulses do so in every mode, including the fixed pressure modes.

Wow, I didn't know that. What a waste!

Indeed!  The only way to be sure whether FOT pulses are causing you problems is to buy a different machine, which I did...
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes Janice I just found the same thing! 
EMFs are off the charts at the hose. 
Did you find an alternative?
Thanks
Mary Ann
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.