Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

what does a negative AHI mean?
RE: what does a negative AHI mean?
(02-20-2013, 03:48 AM)jamica5555 Wrote: Has anyone heard of Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome. I am wondering if maybe I was diagnosed with sleep apnea when really I have that.... would cpap treatment still work either way?

UARS would not be mistaken for sleep apnea. They look nothing alike in a sleep study.

You can have both.

Treating UARS is more problematic and less well understood than apnea. CPAP may or may not help UARS much, but it's the best option.

Insurance may not pay for treating UARS because it's not "mainstream" enough. Sometimes a doctor will fudge the data a bit to get the machine approved.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I guess what i really need to know is would a normal sleep study even show UARS? What type of test or method is used to show UARS?
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I will explain some... I am wondering the above because I did 2 sleep studies and I was talking to the tech when i would wake up throughout them and of course after the first study and they kept telling me no they had seen no sleep apnea and then the last hour or less of the study I finally got into deep sleep (which they had told me I hadnt gone into before during the studies), and then from that time alone I was diagnosed with what the called severe obstructive sleep apnea. I guess I am just wondering if UARS isnt the majority of the problem... and also keeping me from achieving deep sleep in the first place....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 395 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] Negative/Adverse Reaction to BiPAP Need Help zuriaki 21 1,525 09-18-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  [Diagnosis] Symptomatic but Sleep Apnea Negative per WatchPat Ninjaa 10 1,092 05-23-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Ninjaa
  Seems like In-lab study is negative for SA, any advice/thoughts on what to do next? SteveIsTired22 0 418 01-25-2023, 02:49 PM
Last Post: SteveIsTired22
  Any downside/negative to having another provider/DME register device in AirView Spartan 3 702 12-07-2022, 12:12 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Diagnosis] Home test came back negative. Would I be silly to buy a CPAP anyway? kenzonagasaki 7 940 01-19-2022, 03:33 AM
Last Post: desaturator
  [Diagnosis] Negative sleep study, still ordered a CPAP Anargy 41 4,350 12-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Anargy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.