Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPAP Vs CPAP
EPAP Vs CPAP
My doctor says I need an EPAP instead of a CPAP. I am trying to find more information on this. Anyone have any thoughts or know where to find information? I haven't been able to find an actual EPAP machine. Forgive my ignorance, I was diagnosed just recently.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPAP Vs CPAP
The doc probably said APAP which is a Auto-PAP.
The acronym EPAP means Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bib03! Welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing here but maybe he/she said' "VPAP" which usually means a variable pressure CPAP. This unit adjusts the pressure as needed to aid in reducing the pending apnea instead of being a fixed pressure. Actually getting a variable pressure machine is a good thing. All of machines in this catgory have data recording capability. Some straight pressure CPAPs can be non-recording and are referred to as "Bricks".

An EPAP usually refers to Exhale Positive Airway Pressure. This parameter comes into play on the next step up in machines. They have several trade names; commonly referred as BiPAP, Bi-Level, and V-Auto. There are probably several other names , I just can't think of them as I write this. A (VERY) simplified explanation is that they allow for a more detailed setting of pressures for both inhale and exhale.

You may wish to review this link to help in understanding CPAP therapy and the verbiage used:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Wiki_Home

Good luck with your treatment and keep your profile updated when you get your supplies.

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bib03,

You are headed in the right direction by participating in this forum. Welcome! Will your doctor be prescribing a machine? I am assuming you did have some sort of sleep test and were diagnosed with sleep apnea. If so the next step would normally be a RX from your doctor. You should check with doc. about that.

After my diagnosis I was left in a vacuum until receiving a call weeks later from the DME that equipment was coming. Although my treatment over the years was helping, my real help started when I became active in this forum.

Wishing you success, Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bib03,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you start your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2016, 10:20 AM)bib03 Wrote: My doctor says I need an EPAP instead of a CPAP.

Do you mean a BiPAP instead of a CPAP? Did he say why? Did you have trouble during your sleep study exhaling against the pressure? Many people do, and so the technicians switch you to a BiPAP, which gives you two levels of pressure instead of one. You get a higher pressure when you inhale (called the IPAP) and a lower pressure when you exhale (called the EPAP).

BiPAP is actually a brand name. It's more properly called a bi-level. Another brand name is VPAP.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2016, 10:42 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi bib03! Welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing here but maybe he/she said' "VPAP" which usually means a variable pressure CPAP. This unit adjusts the pressure as needed to aid in reducing the pending apnea instead of being a fixed pressure. Actually getting a variable pressure machine is a good thing. All of machines in this catgory have data recording capability. Some straight pressure CPAPs can be non-recording and are referred to as "Bricks".

VPAP machines are not necessarily auto adjusting machines. They are bilevel machines where the inhalation pressure and the exhalation pressure can be set separately. This allows more flexibility in the exhalation pressure setting.

There are auto adjusting VPAPs called VAuto or VPAP Auto that will adjust the pressure automatically while maintaining a set difference between inhalation pressure and exhalation pressure. This difference is called Pressure Support.

These are all Resmed names. Philips has its own names.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bib03, welcome to Apnea Board.

Useful general info:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ngle:Links

Good luck,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,089 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 245 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS] ldinks 154 12,202 08-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Dutchie
  Is this due to too much PS/EPAP? Xeros 7 813 07-31-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Xeros
  IPAP/EPAP pogosix 7 1,153 04-12-2022, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  ASV Epap vs PS correlation? Moemah123 10 2,528 02-21-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sometimes Waking Short of Breath while on BiPAP - EPAP, PS Settings? holden4th 27 2,889 02-12-2022, 04:25 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.