Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPAP pressure
RE: EPAP pressure
And, if you are going to be making changes, do not make them based on a single night's data. Go by at least 7-10. And take lots of notes by starting a sleep diary. Write down what you did that day (good/bad/fun/stressful day, new experiences, did nothing, worked in yard/office, etc), how you feel when you are getting ready for bed (exhausted, good, tired, stressed, wide awake but have to go to bed anyway, etc), and any changes you have done during the day (new food, new beer, different CPAP setting, new mask, etc). Then when you get up, note how you feel again (good night, dreams but don't remember them, etc). That way you can keep track of what changes did what and when. You can enter these changes into the notes/details section of SleepyHead, too.

The reason you don't want to make too many changes at once is because there are just too many variables that go into a night's sleep. You really don't know if it was the change you made or if it was the new beer. So by observing the data and watching for trends, you can make better decisions.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 09:27 PM)twdc33 Wrote: Currently I am waking up numerous times a night with the resmed. I was wondering if I raised the minimum ipap if it would help. I do not however see a way to set minimum ipap on this machine in auto mode. Did d I miss something? Now I just have it set on constant mode but I miss the lower pressures with the auto.

The S9 AutoSet calls max IPAP setting the Max Pressure setting. The Min Pressure setting is the min IPAP setting.

EPAP is either the same as IPAP (if EPR is off) or if EPR is being used then EPAP = IPAP - EPR, except the machine always uses an EPAP at least as high as 4 cm H2O.

I suggest you set the therapy mode to Auto and set the Min Pressure to 9, or higher if it feels like you are working too hard to inhale.

If my CPAP pressure had been set to 13 then I would set the Max Pressure at least as high as 13 plus the amount of EPR. For example, if EPR is 3 then I would set Max Pressure to at least 16, or more likely would set the Max Pressure a couple cm H2O higher than that, such as 18 if EPR is 3.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the insight. Is epr the same as PS?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2014, 07:32 AM)twdc33 Wrote: Thanks for the insight. Is epr the same as PS?

ResMed EPR (meanng exhalation or "expiration" pressure relief) and PS (Pressure Support) are both equal to the difference between IPAP and EPAP, except that EPR is subtracted from IPAP to get EPAP, and PS is added to EPAP to get IPAP.

IPAP - EPR = EPAP
EPAP + PS = IPAP

ResMed CPAP and APAP machines use EPR.
ResMed bi-level machines use PS.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS suspected - how set IPAP and EPAP jrcifani5005 20 1,103 03-05-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: jrcifani5005
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Seemingly little correlation between EPAP (or PS) and AHI or flow rate. [UARS] ldinks 154 12,237 08-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Dutchie
  Is this due to too much PS/EPAP? Xeros 7 817 07-31-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Xeros
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 647 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.