Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex
EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex
Hi! New to the Board and have a question about pressure relief. I have a DeVilbiss Intellipap dv54 Autoadjust that I keep up north at a cabin. When I am up there, I sleep great with very seldom wake-ups during the night. The unit I have had down here was a REMstar Plus C-flex. I never slept well with it and usually didn't get past 5 hours without ripping it off my head since it woke me and I couldn't get back to sleep with it on. After comparing everything (all settings, masks, tubes, etc. were the same) I found that the only variable was the pressure relief. The DeVilbiss gave great relief on exhale and the REMstar was almost non-existent. The settings on both machines were at the max. The service center believed that the latter was not working correctly and replaced it with a ResMed S9 AutoSet. But now I find that the relief on it (at max) isn't much better than the REMstar. Does anyone know if there is a setting that might be missed that would provide more relief on the exhale? Thanks in advance for any help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR, C-Flex, and SmartFlex
ResMed S9 has the PS setting; and I think it's limited to 3 cm-H2O.
For greater expiratory relief a bipap (bi-level) machine can provide a greater ERP.
Such as the S9 VPAP Auto. (VPAP is ResMed's trade name for Bilevel)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2014, 01:14 PM)wmanasco Wrote: But now I find that the relief on it (at max) isn't much better than the REMstar.

It seems as though there's some variable other than pressure relief that's causing this difference in the amount of sleep you get.

Are you using the same mask in both cases? Same amount of humidification?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wmanasco,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
All settings are the same for the units. The tubing is the same, the pillow is the same. The only thing that seems to be out of synch is the amount of relief I get at the exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
SmartFlex works more like ResMed EPR than Respironcis C-Flex
Read more http://www.devilbisshealthcare.com/produ.../smartflex

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2014, 01:14 PM)wmanasco Wrote: Hi! New to the Board and have a question about pressure relief. I have a DeVilbiss Intellipap dv54 Autoadjust that I keep up north at a cabin. When I am up there, I sleep great with very seldom wake-ups during the night. The unit I have had down here was a REMstar Plus C-flex. I never slept well with it and usually didn't get past 5 hours without ripping it off my head since it woke me and I couldn't get back to sleep with it on. After comparing everything (all settings, masks, tubes, etc. were the same) I found that the only variable was the pressure relief. The DeVilbiss gave great relief on exhale and the REMstar was almost non-existent. The settings on both machines were at the max. The service center believed that the latter was not working correctly and replaced it with a ResMed S9 AutoSet. But now I find that the relief on it (at max) isn't much better than the REMstar. Does anyone know if there is a setting that might be missed that would provide more relief on the exhale? Thanks in advance for any help!

The Remstar actually has two different relief settings. One if for the CPAP (your old machine) and is called CFlex. I have not used this as I have the Remstar Auto which uses AFlex. I find the AFlex to be fantastic! I never have an issue breathing against it. Because one is for Auto and one is for Manual, they must certainly be using a completely different algorithm to provide that relief. It seems to me like one of the main differences between your DeVilbiss and your old Remstar was the Auto part. But since you now have the Resmed Auto, maybe it is just that you are used to the DeVilbiss and your body likes the pressure relief of that machine better. Every manufacturer uses different parts and programming for their machines and some people like one thing while others prefer another. Maybe this is oversimplification, but is it possible to get hold of a second DeVilbiss just like the one at your other house?
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Dreamstation) Flex algorithm is out of sync with my breathing skim 12 2,875 02-28-2022, 08:18 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto with A-flex aavenger 6 1,319 11-12-2021, 06:03 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 822 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena
  [Equipment] Help solving power issue (REMstar Auto A-Flex cycling off/on during use)) RhythmMachine 2 855 07-13-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: RhythmMachine
  Noise from Remstar Auto A-flex Greg Schultz 2 829 05-15-2021, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Greg Schultz
  Respironics remstar Pro c-flex system one card won't download staduimjunkie 7 2,339 01-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  [Pressure] C-Flex , C-Flex+ or A-Flex lobo405 7 3,104 12-23-2020, 04:34 AM
Last Post: lobo405

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.