Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR Setting
EPR Setting
I'm not sure I understand how EPR settings affect the other pressure setting on my machine. I am currently on level 2 and thinking about turning it off. If I understand correctly the lower the EPR setting the less "help" you get in exhaling? Is my assumption correct?
TIA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR Setting
(03-30-2018, 09:39 PM)txrpls Wrote: I'm not sure I understand how EPR settings affect the other pressure setting on my machine. I am currently on level 2 and thinking about turning it off. If I understand correctly the lower the EPR setting the less "help" you get in exhaling? Is my assumption correct?
TIA.

The subject seems to be somewhat controversial. I think your basic assumption is correct. Your best best to sort it out is to try it for yourself and see what happens. In fact I would suggest increasing it to 3 first for a few nights, see what that does, and then turn it off to then see what happens for another few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR Setting
EPR 101

set Pressure = IPAP/Inhale pressure = 8-16 (assuming 8, higher pressures will follow the same pattern)
EPR = 2
EPAP/Exhale pressure = IPAP - EPR = 8 -2 = 6

This is considered a comfort setting but it does have some therapeutic value.  

This makes it easier for some to exhale.  Therapeutically this acts similar to PS or Pressure Support on a BiPAP/BiLevel machine.  
EPAP manages Obstructive events (CPAP has only 1 pressure and IPAP = CPAP) Increasing IPAP helps Hypopneas.  When utilizing this capabilities we follow basic BiPAP/BiLevel titration protocols, the differences being on the autoset the settings are 0,1,2,or 3, on a BiPAP the intervals are smaller and they can go much higher.

So yes the lower your EPR the less "help" for exhaling.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 150 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,177 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 425 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,998 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 512 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.