Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR Setting
EPR Setting
My EPR setting is currently 2. I'm wondering what would prompt me to increase or decrease it? My therapy is going pretty well, but I just thought I'd experiment a little and see what happens. Is the 2 level a pretty average setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: EPR Setting
EPR is a comfort setting; and there is no best answer.
At a pressure of 9.2, most people do not need EPR.
If 2 is what you're accustomed to, my layman advice is to keep it at 2.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
There is really no good reason you can't satisfy your curiosity and try 3, or 1 or even 0 on EPR. Keep in mind any change may take a few nights to acclimate and allow you to make a fair evaluation whether it is better or worse. Chances are you won't notice a change of 1 cm EPR either way, or it may actually reflect in slightly different AHI.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people are more comfortable with higher pressure relief. Others notice the pressure change and are disturbed by it. Worse yet, pressure changes cause some folk to hold their breath.... If you have consistent CA activity you might consider turning it to 1 or 0. If you struggle with needing higher pressures and don't react to changes, crank it up to 3.

That's my take on it.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
If you do try different settings, maybe try to collect and save as much information as possible, even oxygen if you have a meter. knowing that you feel fine at epr 2 is valuable information for you to have.

when i used the APAPs with a pressure almost the same as yours, I used epr 1, and a change to epr 2 made me feel giddy and after a week or so and I had to switch back. I tried that experiment several time over the years with resmed and respironics machines with the same results.

after switching to the asv machines, I found that a zero to 1 pressure support was great, but any more than that made oxygen levels less predictable and made for a bad night's sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm now set at an EPR of 3 with a straight pressure of 10. It makes CPAP more comfortable for me. It did take me a few days to acclimate to it because it felt like I was getting a pressure assisted inhalation even though it is exhalation relief. It might be just a sensory feeling from exhaling more fully before the next breath. My AHI is down a little more with the higher EPR. I'm guessing that could be due to me being more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 150 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,178 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 425 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 382 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 2,998 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 512 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.