Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

EPR Settings and Flow limits
RE: EPR Settings and Flow limits
Thanks, Sleeprider. I will stick with it.
I did have a very disturbing event where my mouth filled up with air and I had trouble waking up because I could not breath. But I had that a few nights ago too. It was a little scary. I guess I need to go back to a chin strap instead of tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, had more flow limits last night. Though, I know every night is different.
Post Reply Post Reply
You know, I use a nasal pillows mask, and can talk, sip water through a straw and have learned how to control air in my mouth and airway. Practice blocking the pressure with the back of your tongue and opening your mouth. It can be done. The only reason a bubble of air gets trapped is because you haven't learned to manage it. The control does not come from your lips or your mouth, it is farther back. It will take time to learn the control, but you can talk, it will just sound a bit nasally and might provide some comic relief as you learn.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I have been trying to do that, but it does not always work. I will keep practicing. My REM is pretty intense and my mouth drops open. In pre-Cpap days, I had a river of drool on my pillow in the morning. My apneas are worse during this stage of sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again. Been inching up my pressure but now having more apneas, centrals and now my first UA since starting treatment over a year ago. I am still waking up quite a bit, though possibly a little less than before. I am attaching reports from last night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see good reduction in flow limits. OA are happening mostly directly adjacent or correlated with spikes in Tidal Volume, and if we looked at those close up you might find that one leads to another, and which one seems to be in the lead role. I would be leaving the settings alone for a while, and see if better sleep starts to build up.

QAL
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, QAL. Prior to this, I felt the tidal volume spikes were waking me up even though I was having less apneas (as low as .4 AHI). I don't know a lot about tidal volume though. Even at EPR of 2, my tidal volume had a lot of spikes. I will keep it the same a little longer and see if it improves. I get worried when the centrals appear.

I do want to thank this forum for helping so many people. I like my sleep doctor, but she is busy, as all doctors seem to be in our healthcare system, and she just says "your numbers are good." It is frustrating.
Post Reply Post Reply
This cluster of CAs concerns me. Can anyone help?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your results are excellent, and a cluster of CA is not something we can treat. Possible explanations could be as simple as you needed to swallow or had a sleep disruption. Zooming in on the event would show the respiratory flow before, during and after the events. As far a "concern", don't let it worry you. It's just an isolated event.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider. The CAs began when I changed the EPR to 3. I am just wondering if that means I should go back to 2 to avoid them.  Here is a zoom of the events. I don't know how to decipher.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 8 107 11 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 269 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 316 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,623 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 245 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 147 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.